Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
missyj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:33 AM

Ewww :-( help ASAP

Iv had my 2 year old rottie since Jan but have really started to notice a horrid smell in my house! Its extremely over powering and it knocks me sick when I walk it ... Im very embarrassed by it.

I bath Sam regularly and brush him almost every day and also spray him with no rinse dog shampoo twice a week ... His bed is clean but still spayed every mornin with fbbrees!

I clean my house everyday ... Hoover and mop! I have hard floors down stairs!

He is not allowed on the sofa and not allowed upstairs!

Yet this smell still lingers!

I gave him a good old bath last nite and he had brand new bed ...but when I came down this mornin and opened my kitchen door ... BAM! Was hit but the smell again!

Its not a wet dog kinda smell it smells more like dogs feet lol ... I pay close attention to his feet as was sure this was where smell was comin from!

Can any1 please help me as go suck and dont no wot else I can do!

I dont like having visitors at the moment because go too embarrassed by this smell!

HELP!!!
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:52 AM
I've not had a problem with anything like this - you've not changed his food have you? Just thought it may be a wind issue?
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:54 AM
My pup has a yeast problem and that's started in her feet. I'm far from experienced so hopefully someone will come along to tell you the best thing to do but it does sound like a yeast infection.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Hi Missy has Jan had a vet check up recently, if not I would do that first.
When did this first start?

I bath Sam regularly and brush him almost every day and also spray him with no rinse dog shampoo twice a week ... His bed is clean but still spayed every mornin with fbbrees!
I don't know what this shampoo is but I would not think it is a good think to use on a dog all the time likewise with fabreeze whatever the manufacturers tell you.
If there is a problem best to get to sort it out rather than to try to mask the smells.

The problem could be anal glands/yeast infection or even dermatitis caused by food or a reaction to chemicals.
missyj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 07:46 AM
I have changeover his food a few month ago because he was on cheap food and it gave him terrible wind lol ... This food seems so suit him better!

The thing is ... When I was greeted with this smell this mornin I gave Sam a good sniff and he still actually smells ok!

But it's defo a dog smell ... That's why I clean so much and got him a new bed just incase it was that that was smelling???

He has had a vet check all was fine!
Meg
Supervisor

03-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by missyj View Post
I have changeover his food a few month ago because he was on cheap food and it gave him terrible wind lol ... This food seems so suit him better!

The thing is ... When I was greeted with this smell this mornin I gave Sam a good sniff and he still actually smells ok!

But it's defo a dog smell ... That's why I clean so much and got him a new bed just incase it was that that was smelling???

He has had a vet check all was fine!
Hi Missy when did he have a vet check, since the smell started? . What kind of smell is it, 'windy' ,musty, fishy perhaps. What food did you change to, some containing a lot of grain can cause wind.

I wouldn't use any more chemicals than you have to on your dog, various sprays can block the hair follicles and cause all sorts of problems. I think Sam is short coated? All you need is a good quality brush with soft bristles to keep him clean. There is an old trick of stretching a pair of tights over the brush then brushing, this catches all the dirt.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Missy has Jan had a vet check up recently, if not I would do that first.
When did this first start?

I don't know what this shampoo is but I would not think it is a good think to use on a dog all the time likewise with fabreeze whatever the manufacturers tell you.
If there is a problem best to get to sort it out rather than to try to mask the smells.

The problem could be anal glands/yeast infection or even dermatitis caused by food or a reaction to chemicals.

I agree , along with teeth, what are they like ?
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Hmm, tricky this. If you have "smelled him" and he is ok then i would look at his diet. What are you feeding him on? When i first brought my puppy home he smelled really bad. I then moved him over to a hypoallergenic dry kibble and he never gets any digestive problems or smelly wind.

I also use Animology no rinse shampoo if he has been in water, or sometimes he piddles up his own front leg. Quick wash and some shampoo and he smells sweet again.
missyj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I'll stop wiv the spray and just keep brushing him and a good old bath once a week or so!

I feed him on wagg! Its stoped his smelly trumps haha!

The smell is like very strong dog foot smell ... All my dogs ave had funky smelling feet but only wen u actually put ya more close and sniff em lol ... I sound like a crack pot now!

Its defo not a bottom smell or wet dog smell!

Could it b that im cleaning too much and the products are effecting his feet???
Meg
Supervisor

03-06-2013, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by missyj View Post
I'll stop wiv the spray and just keep brushing him and a good old bath once a week or so!

I feed him on wagg! Its stoped his smelly trumps haha!

The smell is like very strong dog foot smell ... All my dogs ave had funky smelling feet but only wen u actually put ya more close and sniff em lol ... I sound like a crack pot now!

Its defo not a bottom smell or wet dog smell!

Could it b that im cleaning too much and the products are effecting his feet???
Hi Missy, dogs have seat glands in their feet, that is why they sometimes smell a bit sweaty
Yes cleaning products can affect dogs in all sorts of ways.

Wagg would not be my first choice, it contains a lot of grain. Look at the list of ingredients. The first on the list is grain, a bad sign, not much meat or fish there just fillers.
Wheat, Meat Meal, Wheatfeed, Maize, Poultry Fat, Digest, Rice, Beet Pulp, Chicken Meat Meal (min 4% in brown chunk), Linseed, Peas (min 4% in pea kibble), Carrot (min 4% in carrot kibble), Lucerne, Minerals, Yeast (0.08%), Citrus Extract (0.04%), Yucca Extract (0.01%).

Additives (per kg): Vitamin A (E672) 10,000 iu, Vitamin D3 (E671) 1,000 iu, Vitamin E (alpha tocopherol acetate) 90 iu, Vitamin C (ascorbyl monophosphate) 50 mg, E1 Iron (iron III ferric oxide) 1000 mg, E2 Iodine (calcium iodate) 2 mg, E4 Copper (cupric sulphate pentahydrate) 10 mg, E5 Manganese (manganous oxide) 50 mg, E6 Zinc (zinc oxide) 40 mg, E6 Zinc (zinc chelate) 60 mg, E8 Selenium (sodium selenite) 0.1 mg, Antioxidant, Preservative.
now compare it with say F4D...

Composition:
Salmon (Min 27%), Potato (Min 27%), Salmon Meal (15.3%), Pea (16.6%), (Starch 15.3%) Pea Fibre 1.3%, Salmon Oil (9.2%), Salmon Digest (1.8%), Seaweed Meal, Yeast Extract, Malt Extract, Potassium Chloride, Green-lipped Mussel Extract, Spirulina
There are many better foods out there..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >