Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
My Cavvy wasn't spayed until she was 4 yrs old. My minpin was spayed when very young.

Didn't affect either of them adversely. And certainly didn't 'change their characters'.

As for this

As you said - you 'don't get it'. So not much point in discussing it with you.

I, however do 'get it' and have owned several pedigree dogs because I liked the breed and their characteristics, appearance - eventual size reached. And can assure you that it is not because I've EVER wanted to breed, show or 'otherwise' (whatever that means) use my dogs to make money.

That is in fact, in my view, an insult to a whole lot of people who own pedigree dogs.

And for someone who professes to have no interest in specific breeds you've posted a hell of a lot of posts 'wondering what breed' was in your dogs and asking people what they think etc. And seem to mention the breeds that are crossed in your dog(s) every time you talk about them. Also wondering how big your dog will get and so on. You'd know the size parameters with a pedigree dog.

If people can afford to pay for and care for a pure bred pedigree dog - what on earth is wrong with that?
I didn't say anything was wrong with being able to afford and "care for" a pedigreed dog. You said that yourself, did you not? Is the care for a pure bred dog REALLY that much different from the care of a mutt dog?

Also, you picked out a small part of my statement to criticize, thus either missing my main point or simply failing to address it for your own reasons.

My real and main point was that tons of dogs are homeless, and tons of pure bred dogs are over-bred and end up dying just like the mutts.

Also, tell me how asking what breeds might be in my dog is truly relevant to pure bred dogs? I've had ONE pure bred dog, a Rottweiler, given to me by a neighbor. Named Shelly, poisoned by another phobic neighbor. Loved the dog. I have no problems with pure bred dogs, and I never said I did.

I also never said that you wanted to breed, show, or anything else. Once again, YOU insinuated and said that yourself. Asking about the breeds in my dog was to try and help predict more accurately his final size.

So long as he's a large breed (which he obviously is) it doesn't even really matter, alright? He's clearly a Lab mix and she's clearly a GSD mix, so I mean what's the big deal? It's not like they're super mutts where you can't tell what their dominant breed is. It doesn't matter even the slightest.

When speaking about him, I include the gist of his breed(s) because people will often ask, is that so hard to comprehend?

YOUR view as me insulting everyone who owns a purebred dog is a product of your issues with me as a person and you personally feeling insulted for some reason I still cannot understand.

It was not intended that way at all. However, I refuse to apologize anymore. Take what I say however you want.

Take care and good day.

BTW, you may as well put me on ignore like you should have done with the other incident. It's clear we have nothing to say to each other. No point in continuing to argue and debate like this. I grow weary, honestly I do.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Our next door neighbour has an entire bitch because 'its so expensive to get them done!' (Maybe look into that BEFORE you buy a puppy!)
I don't have a lot of money and if Jade wasn't so old, I'd have had her spayed. It's expensive for people who don't have a lot, but not so much that it's just impossible to have done.

If need be, save up a bit and THEN have it done. Also, there are often low cost spay/neuter programs for low income dog owners. There isn't a REALLY good excuse (monetarily-wise anyway) to not have it done.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I don't have a lot of money and if Jade wasn't so old, I'd have had her spayed. It's expensive for people who don't have a lot, but not so much that it's just impossible to have done.

If need be, save up a bit and THEN have it done. Also, there are often low cost spay/neuter programs for low income dog owners. There isn't a REALLY good excuse (monetarily-wise anyway) to not have it done.
Exactly, and I'm of the mind that if you won't be able to afford the basics for your dog.... And neutering being a basic.... Then you should put off owning a dog for a while! I went 5 years with out a dog because I knew I could not afford the food, jabs, insurance etc.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 03:38 PM
All except one of my girls were done a couple of months after their first season the one we didn't have done died of a female cancer she could have avoided had we not been so silly when she was younger.

Boys have been done at 6 months or when we first got them (latest was 12 months).

Betty will be done hopefully after her first season if we have the money saved, if not it will be next year.

Lost my job after we got her, circumstances change and sometimes very quickly you can go from being able to afford things to having to think hard about what you can cut back on next.

Not everyone just doesn't think when they get the dog.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
All except one of my girls were done a couple of months after their first season the one we didn't have done died of a female cancer she could have avoided had we not been so silly when she was younger.

Boys have been done at 6 months or when we first got them (latest was 12 months).

Betty will be done hopefully after her first season if we have the money saved, if not it will be next year.

Lost my job after we got her, circumstances change and sometimes very quickly you can go from being able to afford things to having to think hard about what you can cut back on next.

Not everyone just doesn't think when they get the dog.
Julie, I didn't know until after my last GSD died that spaying them if you don't intend to breed actually prevents them getting some serious conditions later on. I'd assumed that leaving them 'not mucked about with' would be healthier.

I wish I had known earlier. I know now.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 04:43 PM
Exactly, and I'm of the mind that if you won't be able to afford the basics for your dog.... And neutering being a basic.... Then you should put off owning a dog for a while! I went 5 years with out a dog because I knew I could not afford the food, jabs, insurance etc.
I've never gone without a dog, but I've done my best to make sure my dogs didn't go without. When something is wrong, and I can't figure out what it is, they head to the vets etc. Thankfully I've had a host of strong mutts and my dogs have never had any ongoing medical issues.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
While when made as a blatant statement, this is true, I find that lots of pure bred breedings are also unnecessary.

Breed rescues and normal dog shelters are loaded with healthy, forgotten or abandoned, pure bred dogs.

So-called reputable breeders try and get owners under contract to give back dogs they don't want... but this request isn't always honored.

The shelter I got my puppy from made us promise to do this as well. Telling us that if we ever didn't want him or decided he was to be an outdoor only dog, we'd give him back to them. But there is no way for them to enforce this.

As a lover of mutt/mixed breed dogs, and as an owner of mostly mutts all my life, I don't get the appeal of expensive pure bred dogs, except in the event that the owners plan to breed, show, or otherwise use the dogs to make money.
I have no problems with dogs being neutered, however I d have a serious problem with prepubescent neutering as this has proven health problems for the dogs concerned.

I have 7 pedigree dogs & I have no intention of making money out of any of them, my dogs suit me & my lifestyle. Not all pedigree dogs are expensive to buy & few breeders make"money"out of breeding a litter when the true cost is calculated. In fact mongrel breeders with their misguided belief in the inherited health of their dogs are the ones more likely to make money.

Responsible pedigree dog breeders do all the health testing they can to produce healthier dogs-this is not something the mongrel breeders do
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 06:26 PM
I think Remus is 8 or 9 months now and he'll probably be done at a year. S far he's showing no sexual behaviour, no humping ever, no scent marking, tried to cock his leg once...but I wonder if he just trod on something and lifted his foot.

Edited ..because he's just cocked his leg again!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I think Remus is 8 or 9 months now and he'll probably be done at a year. S far he's showing no sexual behaviour, no humping ever, no scent marking, tried to cock his leg once...but I wonder if he just trod on something and lifted his foot.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-06-2013, 06:33 PM
I had my first xbreed Rottie Aussie shepherd mix neutered at 17 months because he had an undescended testicle so had to be done for health reasons. PTS at 41/2 due to cancer nothing to do with testicles he had aggressive T.cell Lymphoma.
My next dog BernesexNewfie female was speyed at 6 months old we live very close to fields and woods with many dog walkers and I wanted her done very quickly because a lot of people walk un-neutered males where we live her being a x breed I didn't want to add to the population. She was returned to the breeder at 8
months old went on to be re-homed and is now 8 years old and still going strong and has outlived her sister not sure if her sister was speyed or not.
My first Bernese neutered at 6 months old very nervous dog from day one of bringing him home. Neutering him made him worse and very unsure of him himself and now feel that neutering young did not help. he was PTS at 41/2 due to many health problems some I have since learnt can be due to early neutering in large breed dogs not cancer.
Dillon my second Bernese neutered at 17 months old due to hormone over load and making him ill. Vets advice our vet now does not advocate neutering unless absolutely necessary. I hung with Dillon as long as humanly possible. I wanted him to grow into himself mentally and physically both of which have been achieved. if it wasn't for his hormone driven tendencies he would still be entire.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >