Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I'm afraid I do tend to agree with Tang - So much these days is tied into legality and the interpretation of words

All communication with your insurer should be through yourself. Tell your vet specifically and clearly that if the diagnosos is a bone sticking on the spine to not even think about mentioniong arthritus. Other words and expressions which will be used to avoid paying are "Pre -exisiting condition" no the bone moved after insurance began "Inherited illness" no this bone could not be inherited, any written reports should be sent to you first if you can get the vet to agree to that.

Insurance assesors are so used to questioning vets in such a way that the vet doesn't realise he or she is being 'used'

But you have my deep respect that you will go ahead with the treatment even if you end up paying I am sure Ailsa is worth it.
No, I know what you are saying. I had already looked through the policy some months ago and found out that hereditary conditions such as HD are not covered. I didn't bother to submit a claim when I thought this was arthritus as I know that isn't covered either. To be honest, having submitted claims for my Cairn terrier (who sadly died over here and having them sent back to me with letters saying 'I hope you aren't too disappointed we are not going to go ahead with your claim yada yada yada......' Hmmm what did they think I wonder? that I would be jumping with joy.... don't think so....) I had no illusions about the probabilities of being turned down for payment of treatments but kept going with them in case of broken legs and other trauma injuries which thankfully haven't happened. If this claim is rejected though, that's it - they can kiss our ar$$es...
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Just to ask for good vibes please. Ailsa is booked in tomorrow for her operation. He wants to do it asap to prevent further nerve damage.......Gillx
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Northernsoulgirl View Post
Just to ask for good vibes please. Ailsa is booked in tomorrow for her operation. He wants to do it asap to prevent further nerve damage.......Gillx
Oh yes, all the vibes we can send (Two 'umans and two canines) comming your way Will definately be thinking of Ailsa tomorrow, much prefer to think about her than some of the human monsters that inhabit the planet.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Oh yes, all the vibes we can send (Two 'umans and two canines) comming your way Will definately be thinking of Ailsa tomorrow, much prefer to think about her than some of the human monsters that inhabit the planet.
thanks, it's appreciated. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Hi Gill, I've just read through the whole of this thread, and I too was wondering about whether she was diagnosed correctly in the first place, cos I had seen this back leg crossing thing with old Georgieboy. Anyway, so glad you have now got a correct diagnosis and that she is going to have the operation to hopefully put her right again, bless her heart.

I once had a gsd with exactly this problem, the vet told me all about what was going on with her spine fusing at the end, but I have to tell you, she lived to a ripe old age of 16 with no problems, she didn't even get the leg crossing or dragging either, how lucky was I!

You will never, ever alleviate yourself of your love of gsd's no matter what, believe me, it's inbuilt in some of us.

I wish Ailsa all the best for a good prognosis after her op, and a good recovery under your tlc, and I'm sure you have found a really good vet there who is going to do just this for you and Ailsa.xxxxx
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Hi Gill, I've just read through the whole of this thread, and I too was wondering about whether she was diagnosed correctly in the first place, cos I had seen this back leg crossing thing with old Georgieboy. Anyway, so glad you have now got a correct diagnosis and that she is going to have the operation to hopefully put her right again, bless her heart.

I once had a gsd with exactly this problem, the vet told me all about what was going on with her spine fusing at the end, but I have to tell you, she lived to a ripe old age of 16 with no problems, she didn't even get the leg crossing or dragging either, how lucky was I!

You will never, ever alleviate yourself of your love of gsd's no matter what, believe me, it's inbuilt in some of us.

I wish Ailsa all the best for a good prognosis after her op, and a good recovery under your tlc, and I'm sure you have found a really good vet there who is going to do just this for you and Ailsa.xxxxx
Hi Helena, nice to talk to you again
My friend Ann said the same thing to me this morning, she thought it might be CDRM but didn't want to upset me last night! as she didn't think the draggy leg thing was A typical of arthritus. To be honest should have known myself as we have had a GSD with CDRM and I should have recognised the signs or at least hit on the similarity of the leg action. The vet this morning actually thought it might be CDRM and I had to draw a breath but having looked at the x rays and then sent them over to the hospital they agree with her that it is fixable. Something to do with the sacrum? also she has a fused vertebrae? which may or may not be the cause, either way they will sort her out. I just possibly have to find the money now! hopefully the insurance will cover it, but I'm not holding my breath to be honest.
Am very worried about it, she has to stay in for 2 days but hopefully this will give her a long and happy life. Will keep you informed. xx
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Good luck to Ailsa for her operation tomorrow.
I have my fingers crossed and Roxy has crossed her paws that all will be well. Do let us know how things progress.
Hugs to both you and Ailsa.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by susannah92 View Post
Good luck to Ailsa for her operation tomorrow.
I have my fingers crossed and Roxy has crossed her paws that all will be well. Do let us know how things progress.
Hugs to both you and Ailsa.
Thank you so much. Will let you know tomorrow how it went. xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Good luck for today Gill and keep yourself busy so you won't be worring too much.xxx

If you ring the insurance today, and tell them she is having to have the op and explain why I'm sure they will cough up for this (finger's crossed!). Don't mention the HD word, it might well be endorsed already, just explain to them about the sudden problem and the x-rays and what the vet has said and that you want it fixed because she's in pain. Good luck with that side of things.

Yes, that sacrum is at the base of the spine, it's 5 bones splaying out that are fused together holding all the nerves and I think is attached to the back of the pelvis. I only know all this because of the physio treatment I had on my horse, she was always banging on about the sacrum illiac (sp?). Sounds very much like what my previous dog had problems with, but she also had a broken tail which probably exacerbated her problems (not broken by me, we rescued her at 18 months!).
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-05-2013, 06:47 AM
So pleased that it is fixable for Ailsa. Can't understand how this was misdiagnosed as arthritis, presumably they didn't take an X-ray initially? Anyway, I have my fingers crossed for the op today and look forward to a complete recovery for Ailsa. She will be running around chasing sticks again before you know it.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »