register for free

Dog News

Dogs may have been man's best friend in prehistoric times

Paleontologists have discovered the remains of three Paleolithic dogs, one with what is believed to be a large mammoth bone in its mouth. It is thought that the mammoth bone was placed in the dog's mouth after it died, suggesting it was part of a ritual burial, and was to accompany the soul of the dead (animal) on his journey. The remains were unearthed at Předmostí in the Czech Republic and the findings have recently been published in the Journal of Archaeological Science.

By focussing on the skulls and comparing with fossil records, researchers were able to deduce that the remains were from wolf, dog or other canid. They reported that signs of domestication were apparent, the skulls being shorter than those of fossil or modern wolves, with shorter snouts but wider brain cases and palates than wolves. A researcher described the skulls as resembling that of a Siberian Husky, but larger and heavier. They appear to have been perforated in order to remove the brain and it is felt that this may have been performed for ritual reasons – to release the spirit that some northern indigenous people believed was contained in the head.

The researchers have looked at the culture of the people at the site and suggest that the dogs were probably used for helping to transport equipment, together with meat, bones and tusks from mammoth kills. The dogs were probably fed surplus mammoth meat.

Commenting that the study shows “quite clearly that the dog domestication process was under way thousands of years earlier than previously thought", Rob Losey, an associate professor of anthropology at the University of Alberta also feels that the way in which the remains were treated indicate that there was a “special connection” between people and some canids even then - “long prior to any good evidence for dogs being buried.”

Your comments and views:
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Thank you Lucky Star for posting this very interesting article. My archeological history is rather sketchy - do we know when the paelothic period was?

There was a terribly interesting programme on telly a few months ago that surmised that without our canid friends, homo sapiens would never have become top dog. The theory being that our tame "wolves" enabled us to be able to spend more time on developing our skills and less time on having to merely survive.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:26 PM
I too am sketchy about when that particular era was, but I posted a link not long ago to an article forwarded to me by my archaeologist friend - about a dog skull found in Siberia in the 1970's, which has only recently been carbon dated and found to be 33,000 years old.

Current estimates put the domestication of the dog at 12-15,000 years ago, but I think we all know in our hearts it was far longer ago than that.

Also, it is thought there were many different attempts at domestication, some of them successful for a period of time, but only one or two continued to became the dogs we know today.

I was fascinated to learn at a recent lecture given by John Bradshaw, that all the dogs on the American continent (including South America) have the same DNA as European dogs, meaning that the dogs domesticated by ancient civilisations such as native Americans, Incas, Mayans and Aztecs died out long ago and did not contribute to modern dogs at all.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Just checked - 33,000 years ago is in the era termed Upper Palaeolithic, aka Late Stone Age, 50,000 - 10,000 years ago.

This is the time when hunting became much more important, so it is no great surprise to learn that this is when the dog was first domesticated; it's just a question of exactly when in that period it began.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top