View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:08 AM

Sometimes rural life is a complete pain!

We had loads of snow yesterday and last night, and our power went down at about 8pm - so that means no electric (and everything in our house is electric!), no hot water and no heating. Thankfully we have enough coal to keep the real fire going.

Our telephone is a cordless electric one, so that isn't working and we have no mobile reception up here. I will be able to email for as long as my battery life lasts on the laptop, but after that we will be incommunicado!

Hopefully it won't be for too long.

The joys of rural living!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
We had loads of snow yesterday and last night, and our power went down at about 8pm - so that means no electric (and everything in our house is electric!), no hot water and no heating. Thankfully we have enough coal to keep the real fire going.

Our telephone is a cordless electric one, so that isn't working and we have no mobile reception up here. I will be able to email for as long as my battery life lasts on the laptop, but after that we will be incommunicado!

Hopefully it won't be for too long.

The joys of rural living!
Oh I saw on the news last night how bad it was for you all and I said to Clive, we moan about the weather but at least we have heating and power.

Fingers crossed it doesn't last too long and that they soon get the power back up for you.

Warming (((hugs))) from Leon and I xx
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 09:06 AM
Thank goodness for the coal fire

I hope your electricity gets sorted soon. Have they given you a time scale?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Is that why farmers always tend to have lots of kids?

Well there's not much else to do is there!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Fingers crossed you have power back now.

We seem to be in small mild zone - everywhere around us has had loads, but we haven't!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 02:41 PM
hope it comes back on soon, at least you have all the dogs to keep you warm !!!
k9xxb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Hope you have some leccy back now
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Thankfully our electricity came back almost exactly 24 hours after it went off. The snow had brought he power cables down

It is nice to have hot water, central heating, the TV and of course the internet back Unfortunately though I was supposed to be attending a GSD Rescue meeting/meal tonight and couldn't go as the roads are pretty impassable Gutted is an understatement.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Sounds like it does have its downside then Kirsty. I always think of you when I see such bad weather forecasts and when I watched Sky news yesterday and their reporter was up there, it seems all roads into Scotland were closed, and that's a first surely?! The thing is, you have so many positives for living where you do, especially when the warmer weather comes, so I suppose you can never have it all can ya!

We've been forecast a big storm overnight tonight hitting the South Coast head on right where I live (3 miles inland though) and they said 100 mph winds and we haven't had those since that October storm, so I'm getting a tad worried myself here! Hopefully, it should only be a case of a few fence panels, but this'll be a first since our loft conversation and I'll be up there sleeping in my bed, and if they didn't build it properly......who knows????!!!! Watch out for me flying past your window tonight!!!!

Sorry you couldn't make it to your meal
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2010, 08:26 AM
oh kirsty I feel for you hun, I really do,

when I lived with my ex on the farm I soon found out it was not all sweetness and light, so much of it is hard going, at the start I often used to get really scared when left on my own up there at night, the dark is just so much darker, there were peacocks up the road {which I didnt know about and they made this horrid sound at night, I had no idea what it was, it terrified me for a few weeks until I asked my ex what the hell it was lol.
big hug, hope you dont loose your power again, it cant be easy with two young kids and no power.