Our sister sites
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-04-2011, 01:57 AM

BIG Hands

Hi everyone.

First post here.

I would like to get a treat trainign bag to put on my belt when I clicker train but I find them all very small and have difficulty getting my hand in and out.

Does anyone know of a large treat bag for sale I could try?

I am trying to get things right with this dog and have never treat trained a dog in my life, well only ball and toy trained so this time as I have a very food orientated Goldie she is the perfect candidate for the clicker. She is a rescue too but is coming on great.

Also anyone know of any good clicker sites?

Thanks everyone nice to be here and go easy with me. I am a bloke !!

Reg
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 03:41 AM
I use a cheap, canvas, "tool belt" type thing. Its like a waist apron with two large pockets I can easily reach in and get treats as well as carry clickers, leashes, poo bags, etc. It ties around your waist. I got mine at a home improvement warehouse store (Lowes, I know you don't have them over there, but something similar, like a hardware store) and it was super cheap. I have a couple so I can wash them in between.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 04:59 AM
......or howabout a "bum bag"
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Hi, first of all good clicker sites, my top three would be:

http://www.learningaboutdogs.com/

The premier clicker training centre in the UK, lots of courses, DVDs, books, workshops etc.

http://www.clickertraining.com/dogtraining

The site of the doyenne of clicker training, Karen Pryor, great articles, glossary, training vids plus merchandise;

http://www.clickersolutions.com/

Great for online articles for practically all requirements.

Bags

I used to use a chalk bag, I don't actually use treat bags any more, I prefer to use my trouser pockets but then you need BIG pockets which are easily accessible.

Chalk bags (the kind climbers use can often be useful, there are a variety of designs for differing climbing purposes).

Treat Bag Tip

One caveat of treat bags, if you are not careful the presence of the bag can be a predictor of training, and, this has the potential of jeopardising your work if you wish say to compete.

One of the ways of combating this, if you choose to use one, is to put the bag, with treats in it, and say sit down and watch tv without giving the dog any treats at all.

This way the dog will not be classically conditioned to think bag = training = food (the way many owners train their dogs to equate lead = going out),

Further to this I would then have several pots about the place (klippit ones are great) and feed from THERE.

When you begin CT you need to a lot of speed between click and treat, however as you progress the dog can manage the pause between the click you need to step over to the pot to deliver a treat either from the hand or being thrown.

The biggest mistake I see in CT is owners telegraphing the food delivery ie they touch the bag BEFORE clicking, you need to click, pause, move hand to bag or move to pot and then treat (same applies if you use toys).

Body movement can overshadow the CT process.

HTH
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

29-04-2011, 01:23 PM
HTH?

It helped immensely, thanks so much for the great informed post. I will do as you say and follow the links given, thank you very much indeed. Clicker training is very new to me so I need all the help I can get,

Reg x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2011, 01:29 PM
I see you live in MAnchester, if you feel like travelling to attend lessons, or one offs etc on clicker training then one of the best exponents of this is Lynda Edmondson you can find her here:

http://www.dogfriendlytraining.net/

She is a lovely approachable person, who was one of the judges at this year's Crufts HWTM competitions; she will try and help you by email too.

regards
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2011, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I see you live in MAnchester, if you feel like travelling to attend lessons, or one offs etc on clicker training then one of the best exponents of this is Lynda Edmondson you can find her here:

http://www.dogfriendlytraining.net/

She is a lovely approachable person, who was one of the judges at this year's Crufts HWTM competitions; she will try and help you by email too.

regards
Apologies SmokeyBear I didn't see your reply Sir. I will give her a call, it isn't too far from here and looks like a great trainer. Thanks and once again apologies for the tardy reply. x
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by Rookgeordiegirl View Post
......or howabout a "bum bag"
I was just about to suggest a bum-bag.
My hubby uses one and his hands are like shovels
jeeves
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Because the constant in and out of a bum bag going against the zip may hurt my hands. I am not being soft here but I have just had chemotherapy and my hands are tremendously sore and they can bleed even touching a zip, that is why I ruled anything out with a zip fitting. Sounds soft but it is a real issue for me. I need it to be very easy as my bones get very sore. x
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-05-2011, 03:16 PM
how about something like market store owners use for keeping control of money? you know like a pinny/change collector. if you watch eastenders then you'll probably know what i'm on about x

edit: called money aprons, just googled it now
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >