View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Nesting is doing my nut in! (phantom pregnancy)

At this moment Takara is busily digging to prepare a nest in the corner of the room. How bloody annoying can they be?!

She's doing it to everything, beds, furniture, carpet, you name it, she wants to whelp in it (she's having a phantom).

Thing is, she's not hoarding toys, she's not being aggressive (just snappy if you try to move her or Ed tries to get in bed once she's nested in it), she's not lactating etc. so I really don't want to give her the medication to tone down the phantom because the vet said it would reduce the symptoms but prolong the phantom.

I don't really know why I'm writing this because I think it's just one of those things we have to go through but I think I just want people to say 'I know how you feel' She's driving me up the pole!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Oh bless - my afghan hound used to do this, and by the time I could afford to have her spayed, she was a it too old for it (we were very hard up then...). She used to carry a teddy around with her and cry all the time. It was heartbreaking. I swore I'd never put another bitch through it, and all my bitches have been spayed since then.

Give her a gentle hug from me xoxox
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Thanks Vicki,

I'm not really cruel and callous! I do feel sorry for her!

Takara will definitely be spayed as soon as this phantom is over because there's no way I'm putting her through this again when she's not having pups. Her mum has phantoms and the vet says it can sometimes be hereditary and that Takara will more than likely have them every time if her mum is prone to them.

She's finally settled down now in the corner of the room (she won't come for cuddles, she just sits alone) but at least she's not in her bed, she spent all day yesterday in her bed in the kitchen alone.
lyndella
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2006, 01:41 PM
hello lottie....I know what you are going through...my sib has really upsetting phantoms...she cries and hides...when we get home, she jumps out and rushes past everyone straight up to my bed and wont come back down again...I went to the vets and asked for something and they gave me this plug in the wall aroma jobby...you put it to as nearest to them where they sleep...the first time I used it, i was splitting up with my boyfriend...it really made me chilled out too...I told the vet that.....its about 20 quid, but them you get refills for it...I reccomend it