Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:00 PM

Cordless house phones

You know the walkie cordless telephones? Apparently one of the scandinavian countries medical researchers has found through their studies that the high levels of radiation caused by them, cause cancer....and have advised those who have them to get rid of them asap.

The UK is now looking to make its own investigation.

Anyway I just got off the phone which happens to be cordless and noticed that my ear had heated up alot and slightly tingles - it wasn't a long conversation either. You can't help but wonder
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Thats quite a worrying thing MC - I hadn't heard that I don't actually use the phone very much but my daughter Laura is on it for ages nearly every night to her friends. I hope they hurry up and do the research over here and let us know the results as soon as possible. Wouldn't it be the same sort of thing as a mobile phone and wasn't this prooved not to do any long term damage or have I got that wrong?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeek! Guess what I am just about to buy - yep a cordless digital answerphone. I was stuck between a BT one and a Panasonic. I've been using them for a few years now. I wonder if anything will come of it - they were never certain about mobile phones, were they, but they did say to limit use.

Pooh! Maybe I'll get a corded one then but I love walking around chatting.
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:29 PM
It's hard to know really, I'm trying to find the article, OH called me about it - spot the irony in this LOL

Anyway found this on the net

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/pub/co...ain_tumors.asp

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...p?sitearea=PED
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 06:52 PM
They also had this worry about mobile phones and have now ruled it out, it's probably just another scare, or sales pitch to get everybody out buying corded phones.....lol.
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Cordless phones emit far less radiation than their mobile counterparts. This is because they don't need to - their signal only has to go as far as the nearest base station - which is no further than the 100m maximum range for this technology. Mobile phones on the other hand, emit a much stronger signal as it has to reach the nearest phone mast, which may be kilometres away.

Both the old analogue cordless phones and the newer DECT phones emit radiation with power output of some 10 milliwatts, compared to mobile phones of between 125 and 250 milliwatts.

Radio transmitters producing an average power below 20 mW cannot exceed the guidelines for limiting people’s exposures that have been advised by expert scientific committees, such as those of NRPB (now the Radiation Protection Division of the HPA) and ICNIRP. These exposure guidelines are developed from comprehensive reviews of epidemiological (human health), biological and dosimetric studies. Compliance with the guidelines will ensure the avoidance of known health effects due to the absorption of radio power in the body tissues.
I wonder what the power output ratings are for wireless computer devices
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 07:03 PM
agree CC me and you would be fried by now LOL
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Hey? who said we're not......lol.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Fortunately, I'm too tight to use my cordless phone very often....
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2006, 07:38 PM
"Recent media attention has focused on a possible link between cellular (cell) phone use and brain cancer, originally because of a lawsuit that alleged such a link"
"There are four types of wireless telephones: cordless, transportable, mobile, and portable phones. Cordless telephones, commonly used in homes, have base units that are plugged into telephone jacks and wired to a local telephone service; these are not considered "cellular" phones"

But this is saying that cordless phones are not classed as cellular and therefore aren't harmful like mobiles etc.

Unless I've misread your post MC and this wasn't the original article you read?

Or I've misread the article and I'm wrong on both counts, which for me on a day like today is very possible!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >