Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ktoth95
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2014, 12:03 AM

Dog is being picky with his food and im not sure what to do about it

He is all of sudden not wanting to eat his food. He'll stick his nose in it and move the kibble around. I assume he is doing that because he is looking for the soft bits that was is in his old food, those were his favorite.

Because this new dog food is all hard and he is a senior dog, i was watering it down. He was fine with it for past month, except for the last two days.
What should I do?
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-11-2014, 12:07 AM
Does he have dental problems and eating hurts? I would suggest taking your dog to the vets to get his teeth checked out.
Or he might have something stuck in his throat stopping him from swallowing. Again a vet visit might sort the issue out
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2014, 08:57 AM
If everything checks out ok with him.. I mix a tiny bit of pate' style wet food in with my dogs kibble.. as only one of the three will eat it dry.
Aaleigha
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2014, 10:25 AM
If the vet gives him the all clear
this is what I do to tempt mine

I get some pate type food and mash it with some hot water then mix in the kibble so it coats each one (or most of them) then eat it then
it could be because the kibble is quite hard so a little soak might help
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Why have you changed his food ? If he liked the old stuff and was doing OK on it why not change back. Just because he is a little older doesnt mean you must change to a senior type food. Some dogs stay more active longer than others. Others age sooner. Depends on their breed type and lifestyle. I have an 11 year old on an 'Active' food as she is still fit, lively and underweight, whereas younger ones are on 'light' food as they prefer the settee to the field.

Thalice's Mum
ktoth95
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Thalice View Post
Why have you changed his food ? If he liked the old stuff and was doing OK on it why not change back. Just because he is a little older doesnt mean you must change to a senior type food. Some dogs stay more active longer than others. Others age sooner. Depends on their breed type and lifestyle. I have an 11 year old on an 'Active' food as she is still fit, lively and underweight, whereas younger ones are on 'light' food as they prefer the settee to the field.

Thalice's Mum
He was not on a good dog food. Plus the vet recommended to put him on a senior diet.
ktoth95
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2014, 08:49 PM
I woke up this morning to a trail of diarrhea, so i called his vet to see what he thought about all of this.
I told him i was putting wet dog food in with his dry food. My dog ate that for one day but is now picking out the wet food if he can. The vet then said the wet food was probably too rich for him and i told him i had only been putting 2 teaspons in with his food. He then told me to leave out the wet food and that a healthy dog will eat the dry food.
So i dont get it, i think i am just going to try out a different brand or go back to his old food to see if he will even eat that.

The only reason that i am concerned about all this is because my dog might have prostate cancer and i wont know if he does for sure until he is done taking a round of antibiotics.
LWG1580
New Member!
Male 

12-11-2014, 04:05 AM
I might have missed, but could you please let me know what food you have your pet on currently and what he was switched from. I might have some ideas.
ktoth95
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2014, 04:19 AM
Originally Posted by LWG1580 View Post
I might have missed, but could you please let me know what food you have your pet on currently and what he was switched from. I might have some ideas.
I have him on Simply Nourish Senior dog food chicken & brown rice. He was on kibbles n bits
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2014, 09:57 AM
I'm not surprised you are so worried about him . Firstly antibiotics can cause tummy upsets and feelings of nausea and add that to the change of food its all too much all in one go. He previous food may not be ideal but at least he was eating it. Maybe add a bit into the new food until he gets used to it. He obviously wants to eat as he is moving the kibble about, but perhaps feels sick. The old food for a few more weeks will not make very much difference - better he is happy and content. Then he is in a better frame of mind to deal with whatever the diagnosis is going to be and you will have one less thing to worry about.

Thalice's Mum
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >