Female 

15-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Malka
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Some great ideas here, - the only one I would be cautious of is "most posts in a month" as that rather invites a great deal of meaningless nonsense at every available opportunity.

Hmmm, sounds a bit like the evening crew in the Daily Thread
Especially after you have brought the magic bottle!
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
the only one I would be cautious of is "most posts in a month" as that rather invites a great deal of meaningless nonsense at every available opportunity.
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Especially after you have brought the magic bottle!
Oh yes, better cancel that one
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2012, 10:45 PM
Also, having pondered on this a little, there are some competitions that some people would have no chance of ever winning.

For example, caption comps are great fun but whilst some folk can reel off endless hilarious ones at the drop of a hat, others could not even think of one.

It would be good to see competitions that everyone stands a reasonable chance of winning, if that makes any sense.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2012, 09:44 AM
You could do a real close up photo of a part of something (could be dog related) and members have to guess what it is?

This could be hard to do on line so perhaps you could have a deadline for the guesses and if there is more than one correct guess, each correct one could be given a number and someone (without knowing which numbers are attached to which member) could pick which number is the ultimate winner.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2012, 10:48 AM
That's a great idea LS - I like that one. I just hope all the numbers are allocated to me
I have a cream stone floor and one of those B&D steamers would be perfect
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by jenny.g View Post
That's a great idea LS - I like that one. I just hope all the numbers are allocated to me
I have a cream stone floor and one of those B&D steamers would be perfect
Ditto, only my cream stone floor is a mottled cream stone floor which usually has muddy tyre tracks all over it!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Some awesome ideas everyone! Thank you for posting them as it's given me food for thought.

Actually the more I think of it the more I like the ideas where we don't have to 'judge' or pick winners. That will always be subjective, and I'd be acutely aware of people's feelings getting hurt if their entry was awesome, but someone else's entry just pipped theirs and got chosen instead

So I'm thinking, perhaps something which is based either purely on chance... or where the user has the exact same chances as anyone else? Such as random numbers out of a hat, or whoever posts the most dog-related posts that month (though as some of you pointed out there could be problems there that need to be ironed out).

I will have a think as well and see what I can come up with in the meantime keep posting yours too if you have any more
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-12-2012, 04:08 PM
Ok what do you think of this guys?
DOGSEY LUCKY NUMBERS
  1. A random number (up to a million) is chosen at the start of the month and put up for all to see
  2. Then, anyone wishing to enter clicks on a special link in their profile - and it generates a random number - which becomes their entry!
  3. However, to increase your chances - you get to have 1 entry a week! So you click on the link once a week to get another entry - getting a total of 4 entries per month.
  4. Then at the end of the month - whoever's entry is the closest to the original number, wins!

To make it even more exciting, there will be a few 'bonus' entry days - where I will post a thread a few times a month saying TODAY IS A BONUS ENTRY DAY! ...which will permit you click on your special link to get a bonus entry

Everyone's entries will show on the competition page too - so you can track each other's progress and 'chances'. Entries will be IP checked - so no duplicate accounts will be allowed.

I like this idea because:
  • It's purely down to chance
  • It gets people to log-on at least once a week
  • It encourages people to check Dogsey daily for a bonus 'day'
  • As it is all automated, there is less room for mistakes and will also take less time to organise and maintain
  • Having the same competition every month makes it easier for everyone
  • It's fair and transparent
AliStarfish
New Member!
Female 

16-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Ok what do you think of this guys?
DOGSEY LUCKY NUMBERS
  1. A random number (up to a million) is chosen at the start of the month and put up for all to see
  2. Then, anyone wishing to enter clicks on a special link in their profile - and it generates a random number - which becomes their entry!
  3. However, to increase your chances - you get to have 1 entry a week! So you click on the link once a week to get another entry - getting a total of 4 entries per month.
  4. Then at the end of the month - whoever's entry is the closest to the original number, wins!

To make it even more exciting, there will be a few 'bonus' entry days - where I will post a thread a few times a month saying TODAY IS A BONUS ENTRY DAY! ...which will permit you click on your special link to get a bonus entry

Everyone's entries will show on the competition page too - so you can track each other's progress and 'chances'. Entries will be IP checked - so no duplicate accounts will be allowed.

I like this idea because:
  • It's purely down to chance
  • It gets people to log-on at least once a week
  • It encourages people to check Dogsey daily for a bonus 'day'
  • As it is all automated, there is less room for mistakes and will also take less time to organise and maintain
  • Having the same competition every month makes it easier for everyone
  • It's fair and transparent
I think that is a brilliant way to do it. Anything that is way to monitor for you is great.
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >