Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2022, 11:35 AM

Getting the dog in from the garden.

For general training she is great, comes when called off lead when out playing up the park, does all the positions, heelwork lovely. But as soon as she is in the garden and I want to go out, this is after she has had a good walk and some basic training bits, she won't come in and I have to go and try to get her. I say try because she won't come at all. In the end I have to walk around the garden, it is quite large, and just sort of lure her so that I can grab her collar tab. Solutions please and yep I have tried everything. Treats the lot. When training in the garden she is great. Its just when she has been left out there so that she can have some 'her time'.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2022, 08:05 PM
"But as soon as she is in tI he garden and I want to go out"

I might be way off beam here, but does this happen only when the owner wants to bring her in so that she can go out?

Does she call her in at other times without problems?

Has she done any fun training on recall from the garden?

Management solution, don't put her out for 'me time' before wanting to go out

Training solution is better, but that means spending time out in the garden with her, throwing her toys inside for her to fetch, throwing toys outside for her to fetch, putting in a cue to get the behaviour of going inside stable and making sure that recall from the garden doesn't always end in being left alone
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2022, 11:31 AM
Advice given so far sounds god but will have a think,
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2022, 01:44 PM
Thanks, she is a very wiley bird sorry dog. I am thinking of something that will maybe work. But she is a brainy breed. bg!! Will let you know how next week goes. Thanks Chris but yep all things have been tried until now.bg!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2022, 07:15 PM
Does she come in when called at other times or just when the owner is going out Brenda? As you say, a smart breed so will know the cues for owner calling her in so that she can go out
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2022, 10:28 AM
Well everything went well up the park but as soon as home and was in the garden she wouldn't do anything that had been done up the park or come in. Not even for yummy yummy treats.
It is a learn't habit. She was apparently like it in someone elses garden. I assume she did eventually come in or she would have still been there. bg!!
So, I have advised the owner on what to do and I will see if it has made any difference next week. Watch this space as they say.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2022, 08:05 PM
I would do the same as up the field when learning recall, put them in a harness and long line, call them in and if they don't come..yank them in on the longline. I don't have to bothr with mine now...I call them in, I count to 3, only ever get to 2....if I have to get to 3 I will bring them in with strong words
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2022, 08:11 PM
What have you suggested Brenda?

My thought was in the garden on a line but I suspect that's not a long term win win

I wonder if its their voices (dogs are good at picking up from your voice your mood. So maybe train her to a whistle ? same sounds everytime?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2022, 07:40 AM
Thanks Kazz for your suggestion. I have given her the owner advice on what to do now and she has replied and said it is working. Hm not sure if that is right after just one day but we will see how it goes until I see her again next week. I am sure the dog is just playing her up. Thankyou everyone.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-05-2022, 11:41 AM
I thought only Bernese did this.
We had this a lot with Dillon if we wanted to go out quite soon after a walk we would bring him in the front door not round the side and through the back gate and not let him out.
If we were going out later and it seemed a long time between coming back from walks we had many things we tried, tretas he grew wise too.
We use to shut the back door and I would say cheerio then see you later be a good boy this was the one that worked most effectively but to be honest after a while he grew wise to them all, so we use to have to leave time to either make a game of chasing him round the garden and eventually kind of herding him in.
Can he not be picked up and brought in if he is small never really an option with Dillon.
Harness and long line sounds good but big or small make sure a harness is used if any yanking is going to be applied.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >