Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
curious
New Member!
Female 

20-11-2017, 07:54 PM

Picky Toy Poodle Won't Eat Egg Whites or low fat food

Hi everyone. I have a toy poodle who is about 11/12 years old. He's on about 6 pills because he has a heart condition and then a possible infection (maybe cancer or something with his live/kidneys. we're still not sure yet and doing tests.) Anyway, he's a SUPER PICKY EATER. The vet said he needs to be on a low fat diet but he doesn't like the low fat hills canned food I've been trying to feed him. In fact he ate it once with no problem but after that he never wanted to see it again. He's eating another type of hills food called AD but that's much higher in fat, so I was wondering if anyone had low fat food recs. I don't mind recipes either. I tried boiled chicken and he was pretty into it for awhile but then that kinda died off.

Also, his albumin was super low so the vet said he needs to eat egg whites. I've tried making him fresh egg whites every single day but he refuses them. However, when she first told me to give them he ate like 2 and 1/2 egg whites in ONE DAY. Any suggestions on how I can get him to eat egg whites?
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by curious View Post
Hi everyone. I have a toy poodle who is about 11/12 years old. He's on about 6 pills because he has a heart condition and then a possible infection (maybe cancer or something with his live/kidneys. we're still not sure yet and doing tests.) Anyway, he's a SUPER PICKY EATER. The vet said he needs to be on a low fat diet but he doesn't like the low fat hills canned food I've been trying to feed him. In fact he ate it once with no problem but after that he never wanted to see it again. He's eating another type of hills food called AD but that's much higher in fat, so I was wondering if anyone had low fat food recs. I don't mind recipes either. I tried boiled chicken and he was pretty into it for awhile but then that kinda died off.

Also, his albumin was super low so the vet said he needs to eat egg whites. I've tried making him fresh egg whites every single day but he refuses them. However, when she first told me to give them he ate like 2 and 1/2 egg whites in ONE DAY. Any suggestions on how I can get him to eat egg whites?
Can he eat the yolks as well? If so, could he have them scrambled or as an omelette?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2017, 09:39 PM
you could try variety - one meal fish, one chicken etc

You could also try mixing the egg whites in with his meal rather than giving separately
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-11-2017, 09:44 PM
I found turkey was good when my other collie was poorly with cancer. It has a high aroma when cooked and low in fat, together with sweet potato. You could also try venison.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-11-2017, 10:01 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
I found turkey was good when my other collie was poorly with cancer. It has a high aroma when cooked and low in fat, together with sweet potato. You could also try venison.
That might be a bit deer..........sorry, couldn't resist.
Turkey sounds like a good idea. Ours likes plain boiled chicken breast. Also low fat
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

21-11-2017, 12:06 PM
Albumen is found good quality protein food sources such as beef, pork, veal and lamb. Fish, chicken, turkey, peanut butter and eggs are also good sources.
Chaelin Kang
New Member!
Female 

28-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Cut the white eggs into tiny little pieces and mix it with his food! Cut it as small as possible, so your dog cannot pick them out!