Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-10-2008, 07:48 PM

Charlie wins over the parents!

If you saw my post at the weekend about me getting a new puppy & my parents' reaction here is an update.
For those who didn't, basically I was getting a new puppy this w/e & when I told my parents their reaction was "well thats messed us up, Kyra (their dog) doesn't like puppies" (she gets aggresive) - I babysit Kyra when they go on holiday , they dont go next till the end of March! I pointed this out, they said "well she doesn't like young dogs either, oh, do what you want" and put the phone down on me!

Well Charlie came home on Sunday, he settled in brilliantly, he's learning fast & my 10 year old labby bitch loves him.

Today the parents came to visit with Kyra ... it went brilliantly! Charlie was chasing Kyra & she didn't react at all. Charlie took a toy to my Dad to play pull and gave Mum lots of paws & kisses ... result ... they think he's lovely!!! It couldn't have gone any better if I'd scripted it!

Well done Charlie I'm SO proud of you!!

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2008, 07:54 PM
What an adorable little dog. Can see why your parents were won over Hun xxxxx
Doofuz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2008, 08:04 PM
Pleased he won your parents over. My parents in law were appalled when we told them we were getting a dog, our old girl had just died and we said we would think hard before getting another puppy. They said, 'I wouldn't bother getting a puppy now, you just got married, I would start thinking about kids'! They met him at the weekend and spent the hour with their lips curled....miserable!

Glad it went well !
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Well done Charlie!

I didn't tell my dad and step-mum that we were getting a dog last year. I was convinced they wouldn't approve and I didn't want to spend weeks being guilt-tripped out of it. As far as my OH and I were concerned, it was our decision to make. I told them over the phone the day after she arrived and, as expected, I got lots of comments about how "restricting" dogs are and how we already had too many commitments. When they met Ella, she completely won them over although they still make frustrated noises at me when they want us to go somewhere or do something and I say that I can't because of the dog!

We haven't said anything this time round, either but I'm sure once little lad is here, they won't be able to help but fall for him.
tova
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2008, 08:32 AM
He's a lovely puppy! Families can be odd sometimes can't they! Glad all went well and they came around.

Originally Posted by Doofuz View Post
Pleased he won your parents over. My parents in law were appalled when we told them we were getting a dog, our old girl had just died and we said we would think hard before getting another puppy. They said, 'I wouldn't bother getting a puppy now, you just got married, I would start thinking about kids'! They met him at the weekend and spent the hour with their lips curled....miserable!

Glad it went well !
Ouch! I remember once being at a family gathering and my sister in laws father in law ( are you with me still!) looked adoringly at all the kids playing and turned to me (we don't have children) saying " see what you are missing! You've just got all those dogs! Nasty, smelly, bitey things!" I think he meant dogs generally- he'd never met mine.