Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
I use an egg skelter to. I'm only getting one egg a day from my girls at the moment as two of them are moulting.
I've had to put one of ours in a different run as she was getting a bit pecked. Lots of blood coming from her vent but she's just about recovered and is laying again.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I've had to put one of ours in a different run as she was getting a bit pecked. Lots of blood coming from her vent but she's just about recovered and is laying again.
Aww bless her. Glad she's doing better.

Two of mine went broody a few weeks ago leaving the remaining hen on her own so she decided to move in to my house by sneaking in through the patio doors everytime I turned my back. I had to usher her out repeatedly!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-09-2013, 08:56 PM
We had to bath her and put the purple spray on.

She's a Light Sussex and being white means she really did turn purple.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Hahaha two of mine are Light Sussex crosses. All the boys came out white and all the girls came out ginger. Babs is a jersey giant cross.
fairystar
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2013, 09:31 PM
In the fridge, wouldnt risk them in Birsbane heat...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:07 AM
Originally Posted by fairystar View Post
In the fridge, wouldnt risk them in Birsbane heat...
Well same here in Cyprus.

Was reading some interesting stuff about this on FDA and EU websites.

Apparently if eggs have been stored refrigerated, they should be KEPT refrigerated- because removing them out of the cold makes them 'sweat' and then bacteria can penetrate the shell?

This applies even if you bought them unrefrigerated and then put them in the fridge and then took them out again and left them on the side for some time.

And best not washed or wiped as it removes a protective film?

All the eggs I buy look as if they have been washed - never see any grot on the shells.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:36 AM
I didn't know you could keep eggs out of the fridge... they're refrigerated in the grocery store and go straight into the fridge here. And they're never left out for more than a few minutes.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
I didn't know you could keep eggs out of the fridge... they're refrigerated in the grocery store and go straight into the fridge here. And they're never left out for more than a few minutes.
That's another recommendation Sarah - that they only be removed from the fridge for immediate use and put straight back. Apparently even an hour or two at room temperature after being refrigerated is enough to create a problem and of course especially in countries with very high temps (and let's face it - it's often hotter inside than outside here!)

*the upshot of all this is - I now doubt whether I will use the last 4 eggs in my fridge after reading not just Malka's graphic horror description but all the stuff on the food safety websites! I might not in fact eat another egg for a very long while! But I tend to have periods of fancying eggs and then go a long time without them.

It was said for ages that too many eggs are bad for you - cholesterol and all that - I believe that now, as with so many other 'food scares' - they've overturned that one!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

22-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrekin View Post
Hahaha two of mine are Light Sussex crosses. All the boys came out white and all the girls came out ginger. Babs is a jersey giant cross.
Well our Light Sussez is actually a Light Sussex Hybrid.

We've also a Bluebell (which I'd have more of) and the other 4 are your typical red hens which are ex battery rescues.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3