Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 03:09 PM

Bella's first agility class

Just been to our first agility class
Bella was a bit overwhelmed,as she tends to be in new situations,and was really not good at the waiting patiently bit...especially as there were so many new potential doggy friends there LOL
But she did well trying out the course She loved the jumps. Initially was unsure about the tunnel, but after a couple of tries was flying through it.
She did find it hard being controlled and sitting for so long....and was looking abit stressed at one point though I'm hoping this will get better as she gets more used to it, because I really want her to enjoy it, no point otherwise...)
Have another class Weds eve...so will see if she is a bit calmer next time round.Wish us luck
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Aww, bless. In what way was she stressed? Was it just excitement/frustration that she didn't like waiting her go or was there something there that was worrying her?

Because Stumpy can get stressed sometimes at agiliy, I quite often do little tricks and things with her while we re waiting our turn. not all the time, because they do need to learn to lie quietly, but if the class is big and there is a lot of waiting around, it can help to keep her focused on you and keep her motivation up.

Let us know how you get on on Wednesday's class
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks Hali. Not sure what exactly it was that stressed her. I think it was mostly the frustration of having to be on-lead, and wait and not being able to go bouncing and playing with the other dogs.She started pulling like mad towards the gate, as if she wanted to go and whining
I did start doing a few little things with her and treating her whilst waiting lots....seemed to help.
She was fine when going around the course....really think it was just the waiting...plus she is generally not great in new situations....but the only way for her to get better is to experience more....
She does definitely need to learn about self control and waiting patiently though...so would be good if this helps with that....but I wont make her do it if it really upsets her . I think though she will be better once she gets more used to it.
Fingers crossed anyway LOL
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2010, 04:42 PM
What I'd be tempted to do is speak to the trainer and ask if its ok if while you're waiting for your turn you move away from the others slightly. Hopefully this will relax her a little more each time you go and when you think she's more comfortable, move a little closer.

Also practice her waits/stays etc at home. I don't know if she enjoys 'find it' games, but i have found this the best way to teach a wait/stay. The dogs quickly pick up that part of the game is that they have to wait until you go off and hide the toy. Stumpy used to hate me being out of her site, even in the house, but with this game she will now wait paitiently even when she can't see me (most of the time...sometimes she gets carried away and goes off to find her ball before i've even hidden it )
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2010, 05:21 PM
yes, thats a good idea Hali. It seems quite a relaxed class, and is in a big field....so maybe standing a bit further from the group might help....then again she may just want to get to her "doggy friends " more...LOL
We do practice wait/stays at home....and she is brilliant...like just about anything else I ever work on at home with her....she's a model doggy when training at home ....but out in the exciting big wide world is another story all together LOL
Will try some find it games though...that's a good idea....think I will maybe try out on some walks...hiding her ball etc...will be harder for her to "stay" in that situation so better practice....
She seems happy now though....is sleeping peacefully on the windowsill in the sun LOL
loupoppins
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Is it really bad that my legs are stiff today from agility yesterday I was doing the whole course (jumps) with her as it was her first time....but they were very low!
Shows how unfit I am. Thank goodness Weds is just weaves LOL!!!
Bonwillan
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Glad to hear Bella enjoyed her first class. Hopefully she will settle into the agility environment soon.

Hope the legs are feeling better now.