Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-08-2016, 05:42 PM

Epilepsy

my dog has epilepsy had 2 fits what we know of has anyone else's dog got it or had it what treatment did you give them thanks in advance
Ms. M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2016, 05:49 AM
Don't haven't encounter this kind of sick in dogs.
I search this information for you to help your dog. This information that I found has a lot of information to help your problem.
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-08-2016, 07:20 AM
thanks much appreciated
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Hello Colin we have had a number of members over the years who have had dogs with Epilepsy.

Firstly I would recommend you start a diary noting time/length of episodes. Also what happened prior to them so you may be able to find a trigger (though for many there will not be one).
This will help your vet.

It is really a matter of finding a medication that suits your dog (there are a couple available) then adjusting the dose to get it just right.
Jcarpentier
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-08-2016, 12:46 PM
Hello. What breed of dog is it? Some breeds are more prone to epilepsy than others. I cannot offer you advice on it but you may want to have the veterinarian evaluate your dog and offer advice. Good luck and take care.
Meg
Supervisor

14-08-2016, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Ms. M View Post
Don't haven't encounter this kind of sick in dogs.
I search this information for you to help your dog. This information that I found has a lot of information to help your problem.
Hello Mrs M I hate to disagree with anyone and hope you will not be offended if I do so on this occasion in the interests of Colin's dog . There is no scientific evidence for homeopathic remedies being effective beyond a placebo effect
Given that mosthomeopathic remedies contain little if any actual ingredients beyond water and sometimes sugar, it is unlikely that any direct harm could come from taking them. Improper preparation of remedies made from toxic or infectious material could pose some risk, and there have been reports of toxic contamination of homeopathic products.

However, the most significant risk of homeopathy is that it often delays the use of accurate scientific diagnosis and truly effective medical treatment. Unnecessary injury, disability, and even death can result from the delusion that homeopathy is an effective treatment for any medical condition.
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...ce/homeopathy/
..and while they may do no harm, with a serious condition like epilepsy it is essential to consult a vet about getting the appropriate medication without delay.
Meg
Supervisor

14-08-2016, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by Jcarpentier View Post
Hello. What breed of dog is it? Some breeds are more prone to epilepsy than others. I cannot offer you advice on it but you may want to have the veterinarian evaluate your dog and offer advice. Good luck and take care.
Hello Jessica that is so.
I noted Colin has Border Collies and they are a breed which is suitable to Epilepsy.
Meg
Supervisor

14-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Colin you may find this thread of interest...
http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=141239
col72
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-08-2016, 01:15 PM
thanks everyone yes she's a border collie it is breaking my heart
Meg
Supervisor

14-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Originally Posted by col72 View Post
thanks everyone yes she's a border collie it is breaking my heart
Colin don't be too downhearted , once stabilised your girl may be ok for most of the time. My friend had an epileptic BC and she lived an almost normal life for many years after developing the condition.

Please read the link I posted above with other Members experiences of owning an epileptic dog, it may help you...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >