Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I am not rich, and I only buy food from Waitrose (and sometimes M&S - tho it used to be the other way round ).
  • I don't go out every weekend
  • I don't smoke
  • Don't drink
  • Haven't had a holiday in 8 years
  • Drive an old car
  • Don't buy fancy clothes
  • My trainers have a hole in them
Guess it's all about priorities
Azz, that so reminded me of when I was in my thirties, I see 'nowt wrong with shopping at Waitrose, when I'm in England I do tend to use Tesco but that is partly because I can easily park the motorhome on their car park and there are other reasons too

Maybe we should listen to the person above who worked in a supplier factory. All the things which they say are not in the new branded products may well have not been in the previous ones, who knows, but it seems the new products will have upmarket packaging and it is surprising how that influences people, marketing is a highly technical proffession these days and when you are selling millions of tins of baked beans per week just a slight hint of 'upmarketness' * makes a surprising difference to gross profit for the week. Allegedly they messed up a bit over Christmas so it's good to see them trying to get back on track.
* Is that a word
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Azz, that so reminded me of when I was in my thirties, I see 'nowt wrong with shopping at Waitrose, when I'm in England I do tend to use Tesco but that is partly because I can easily park the motorhome on their car park and there are other reasons too

Maybe we should listen to the person above who worked in a supplier factory. All the things which they say are not in the new branded products may well have not been in the previous ones, who knows, but it seems the new products will have upmarket packaging and it is surprising how that influences people, marketing is a highly technical proffession these days and when you are selling millions of tins of baked beans per week just a slight hint of 'upmarketness' * makes a surprising difference to gross profit for the week. Allegedly they messed up a bit over Christmas so it's good to see them trying to get back on track.
* Is that a word
Indeed, I find it fascinating how easily we are all influenced by marketing (myself included).
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
There are some things that are not just a matter of fancy packaging, but just ARE better tasting.

Like Heston's Hot Cross Buns, GAWGUSS!
SB - How much are the Hestons Hot Cross buns - I saw an M&S advert last night for their top of the range HC buns TWO for TWO POUNDS I nearly had a heart attack, they used to be six for 99p only a few years ago.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Indeed, I find it fascinating how easily we are all influenced by marketing (myself included).
Yes, I do try not to be, but looking back I know when I've paid more than I should have
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
SB - How much are the Hestons Hot Cross buns - I saw an M&S advert last night for their top of the range HC buns TWO for TWO POUNDS I nearly had a heart attack, they used to be six for 99p only a few years ago.

That is two PACKS for £2!

There are 4 in a pack so 8 LUXURY Hot Cross Buns for £2 so, in actual fact, not a huge mark up compared to 6 for 99p!

I thought their LUXURY HCB were the best until I tasted Heston's.

HB buns are not like the REST of them however being much deeper.

They cost £1.59 for 2 buns.

Early Grey and Mandarin, SCRUMMY!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Have to confess, that the Heston hot x buns are fab, but don't be fooled by Waitrose again there is very little difference between products in waitrose and products in Tesco's, m & s do tend to be slightly different, but only in the fact that you're only allowed to buy raw materials from suppliers that they approve, in terms of finished product quality there is very very little difference, again its down to clever marketing and peoples perception
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm going to have to go and buy some of these hc buns now aren't I?!?!?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2012, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
That is two PACKS for £2!

There are 4 in a pack so 8 LUXURY Hot Cross Buns for £2 so, in actual fact, not a huge mark up compared to 6 for 99p!

I thought their LUXURY HCB were the best until I tasted Heston's.

HB buns are not like the REST of them however being much deeper.

They cost £1.59 for 2 buns.

Early Grey and Mandarin, SCRUMMY!
Oh thanks for that, so really given that I was talking three years ago not too bad, taking into account inflation - I must admit I was only sort of 'half watching' - dogs were trying to get my attention and SWMBO was talking, getting harder to multi-task at my age
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-04-2012, 05:35 PM
They have regular HCB which are cheaper, I think last time I looked they had 4 types of HCB

Luxury
Cranberry and Orange
Apple and Cinnamon and
Regular ones
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
While on the subject of Hot Cross buns can anyone tell me if they will still be on sale after Easter SWMBO has just added them to my shopping list
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >