Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Slow cookers / crockpots

What are the slow cookers like? I quite like the idea of putting everything in one pot and coming back to it a few hours later when it's all done! Especially now I am busy running around.

Anyone have any good recipes? Are the electric ones 'ok'/safe?
borderladysue
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-07-2010, 03:03 PM
hi there just HAD to reply to this one as i have been using these for 25years and they are a god send if you are busy running around. everything ready in one pot, come home and serve it up. i would not be without it. and you dont need a receipe just throw in what you like, joints of meat, sasages, chops, stews, fish whatever, chuck your veg in to incl potatoes i really recommend stew and dumplings, when you get home from a day at work or just been out for the day and open the door the smell of stew is so comforting and warming.ohhhhhhhhhhhh yum yum, dont use it much this time of year but at least 3-4 times aweek when the weather gets colder and night darker.
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Ours gets used a lot in the winter too for casseroles, stews, soups and pie mix. I've also used it for slow cooking the meat for Sunday dinner or slow cooking some lamb shanks.

There's nothing better than getting home to the smell of dinner already cooking away. I leave mine unattended on the lowest heat for 4 hours and it has always been fine but I do have to put it in a cupboard just incase Monty tries to get it off the worktop!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 03:35 PM
You don't have to have recipes as such for these things, they are a Godsend, especially in the winter, and especially for casseroles, they're brilliant, I wouldn't be without them. Curries are fantastic too! Just make sure everything you throw IN it is hot, and that the pot is also hot, that way you get the benefit of them, and 5 hours is good, 8 hours is mmmmmmmmmm! You'd be amazed at the difference in flavour from cooking say a casserole in the oven!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I bought one and used it extensively. However, the novelty soon wore off, and it's been relegated to the cupboard..... I'm now using a halogen oven, which I love, but how long that stays in favour is anyone's guess

I'm a tad fickle - can you tell?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I've heard about those Vicki, that's gotta be my next new toy for the kitchen then if you rate them, that's good enough for me!

I might have a clear out now you've reminded me about all those useless things I've stuffed in the cupboards, the sandwich press, the pizza oven, the George Foreman and the likes Gotta make room for this slow cooker haven't I!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I've heard about those Vicki, that's gotta be my next new toy for the kitchen then if you rate them, that's good enough for me!

I might have a clear out now you've reminded me about all those useless things I've stuffed in the cupboards, the sandwich press, the pizza oven, the George Foreman and the likes Gotta make room for this slow cooker haven't I!
The halogen oven cooks meat beautifully, Aitch - it comes out really tender and juicy - and it does the best baked spuds in the universe!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
The halogen oven cooks meat beautifully, Aitch - it comes out really tender and juicy - and it does the best baked spuds in the universe!
Ahh, but does it do crispy skins on those spuds, I have to have crispy skins and fluffy insides, that's why I do them in the oven as opposed to the micro???? What about meat, does it brown that too as it cooks??? Oh I gotta get one of these methinks!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-07-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks guys - but c'mon you know me.. I need some recipes
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2010, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Ahh, but does it do crispy skins on those spuds, I have to have crispy skins and fluffy insides, that's why I do them in the oven as opposed to the micro???? What about meat, does it brown that too as it cooks??? Oh I gotta get one of these methinks!
The crispiest! Better than the conventional oven any day!

It also browns meat lovely - crispy pork crackling - yummy!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »