View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 04:30 PM

Any recommendations on protein levels in puppy food/when to change on to adult food?

Has anyone any idea what a good level of protein is in puppy food?

When is the best time to take a pup off puppy food? I'm sure I read somewhere that it's better to take them off at about 6 months due to the high protein levels!

I'm sure I saw a thread on here a while back about this but can't find it!

Enlighten me please!
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 05:19 PM
I took Teagan off Puppy food about 6/7 months old - I was always told larger breeds shouldn't have too much protein.

Sorry I can't be any more help
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I was told my girl's breeder that as they are a large breed they should stay on large breed puppy food (she uses Purina) until they are 18 months, so I am following her advice.
I have always fed my dogs on cooked meat and biscuit before once they are past 4 months, but it is years since I had a pup and things have obviously
changed.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2006, 05:36 PM
Been told a variety of things but mainly wait till they are 18 months old but maybe cut protein level at 9 to 12 months old to 26% and it depends on breed, active breeds need more protein, smaller and less active dogs much less protein, it can make their skins greasy and silly behaviour. Mine are 5 months old now and i give them 2 meals a day of the puppy food and then one meal of my own meal a little gravy from our meal plus meat or a bit of egg cheese even pieces of toast with tiny bits of honey on for their teeth! You will see how your pup develops and what goes down best,(dont always gofor the dearest foods, home made still good) x
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Ok thanks everyone, will have a think!