Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:47 PM

Which is the best UK greyhound rescue?

Zeke has his 1st monthly cancer check up at the hospital next Monday, to ensure he's still in remission.

For each month we get the all clear we are going to donate some money to a dog rescue, to help other dogs like he was helped when he was found on the street and made his way into our home through a rescue .

This month I would like to donate to a good breed-specific greyhound rescue, but there are a few when I google them, can anybody help me find a good/reputable one please?

xx
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 07:32 AM
What a lovely thing to do and I do hope Zeke's check up goes well.

Sorry but I don't know of any specific greyhound rescues but I remember that I used to get a newsletter from a greyhound rescue that concentrated on rescuing & rehabilitating Spanish ex-racers. The stories of the cruel treatment these poor dogs received were horrendous & I know they were always short of funds. I can't remember the name of the rescue but if I can find it via google, I'll let you know.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I second that what a nice thing to do.

Bella came from the Retired Greyhound Trust , Monmore Branch , I think there around 70 branches in the UK , my experience of the Monmore branch is a lovely dedicated team of volunteers who really care about the dogs as though they were their own, they are so helpful and nothing is ever a problem, when Bella and Tom go to board if we are away its like taking them to family. They also have a never put a dog to sleep policy because it cant be rehomed so have some sponsor dogs that for medical reasons mainly are not suitable for rehoming and they live happily at the kennels as part of the family, I hope thats of some help in making your choice.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 10:05 AM
Lovely thing to do......so kind
Retired Greyhound Trusts are very reputable. They have different branches.
monkeydonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:14 PM
Greyhound compassion
or Greyhound Rescue North Yorkshire (now based in Lincoln)
I know the latter one personally. xx
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Greyhound Gap, Lisa Works tirelessly to get greyhounds fit and well, and in new homes
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Thanks all, some brilliant suggestions there, I've had a good look at the websites of the ones I can find and it's heart warming to see the good work people do.

I have drafted out the letter and now just waiting till Zeke's appointment on Monday, so I can send my donation off, I will let you guys know which one I went with, still can't decide just yet, there's far more than I thought there would be, argh, I wish I was really rich!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

07-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Greyhound Gap, Lisa Works tirelessly to get greyhounds fit and well, and in new homes
What a wonderful thing to do!

Totally agree with Lizzy GG do fantastic work and Lisa is a god send to so many greyhounds and lurchers.

I used to foster for them and a couple of my dogs have come from there (ok I failed ) but they give all the support you need, she is always there when you need her.

There are many many brilliant greyhound rescues and I hope that I get to recommend one for months and months and year and years! Keep up the good work Zeke.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I third the suggestion of GG - I got Axel from there. They're getting overwhelmed with dogs at the moment and are trying to also raise money for kennels of their own instead of relying on boarding kennels...Lisa does amazing work and saves a lot of Greyhounds and Lurchers from deaths door at the pound - Axel is just one of over 100 dogs saved last year

Hope he has the all-clear, he's been on such a journey bless him xx
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I do like GG (even if they said no to me fostering for them) and we go to there shows in wasall. They do so much to help a huge number of dogs all over the UK so they would get my vote x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >