Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Cesar Millan

After seeing the comments left about the Shaun Ellis seminar thread. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on Cesar Millan.

We and the OH went to see one of his seminars and of course I've watched him on the telly. He was funny, live but didnt really say any new things. He got my OH laughing and he doesn't really like him.

I've used some of his techniques with my dogs and they work. Anyone disagree, I accept you have your own opinions but I think he's great and that he does change lives and help the dogs.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I have never managed to watch an entire episode of his show with out tears or shouting at the screen. For me a great Dane made to repeatedly walk on a slippery surface just made me despair - if that dog had slipped it could have broken a hip which seemed not to worry him or the owner one little bit.
Also pinning down dogs - not something I have ever felt was safe or necessary.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:37 AM
You're really opening a can of worms on this forum asking about Cesar! I used to be the same as you and thought he was ok, but I have completely changed my mind now having got my own dog and realising that I couldn't do those things to her. He uses shock collars on some of the dogs on his show without telling the viewers - completely out of order in my mind. He uses the 'power rolls' on the dogs to show his 'authority' rather than positive reward based training resulting in dogs that are scared of their owners rather than dogs that want to work to please them.

Looking at the shows now, there's just something that isn't right. I won't do those things to Kia as I find that rewarding her for doing good works so much better than chastising her for doing wrong.

As you have said, we're all entitled to our own views but having spoken to some members on this forum who pointed me to some videos revealing the real fear shown by some of the dogs in his 'care' I've really changed my mind on him.

Just my opinion! But you will find that many members on here are against him and his techniques. Do a search for threads about him and they may change your views too!

Sarah xoxox
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:40 AM
One really good tip I heard was to watch his show with the sound off, and watch the dog, not Cesar. You get a much better picture of how the dog is feeling from it's body language and behaviour if you're not listening to Mr Charming giving his own explanation of it. Even with any qualifications in dog behaviour (which, btw, CM doesn't hold either) it's pretty easy to read the dog's body language in most of the shows.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Watched 15 mins of one programme, enough to make me realise I am no CM fan...
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Oh dear, i would advise you do a search on CM and see the number of threads on this abuser and how heated it can get . . .
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 12:26 PM
You should prob do a search for threads on here about CM
Quite an emotive subject for dogsey

I agree with what everyone above has said, I have been banned from watching him because he upsets me too much

SOme of what he says is OK, but nothing new
Some of what he says is silly but dosent overly harm dogs or people
but
Some of what he says is very wrong and puts people and dogs in dangerous positions

totaly agree with watching with the sound off

and I would also like to point out that their are several members on here who have dealt with what he calls 'red zone' dogs and they dont get bitten or into a physical fight with the dogs because they are able to read the situation better
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Can't stand the twonk, and wouldn't let him within a mile of any of my dogs...... he's a total idiot!
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 12:46 PM
sits back and waits for the fireworks, its been a while, personally i don't like him, he's a quick fix man, with no regard for the longterm damage he is causing
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2010, 12:54 PM
IMO he's a bully who is oblivious to what the dogs body language is actually saying. Sorry but he wouldn't get anywhere near my dog.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »