Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 06:24 PM

What would you do?

My O/H has bought a laptop for us to use today from PC world and it has got a pinprick with green light showing through near the top of the screen which Graeme says is a dead or stuck pixel. Well I have phoned their helpline and they said that the store wouldn't change it unless it was in the middle of the screen and spoiling the viewing. It was nearly £800 so do you think we should try to get another or do you think that it is better to just live with it The woman on the Helpline said it was very common on Laptops and flatscreens.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
My O/H has bought a laptop for us to use today from PC world and it has got a pinprick with green light showing through near the top of the screen which Graeme says is a dead or stuck pixel. Well I have phoned their helpline and they said that the store wouldn't change it unless it was in the middle of the screen and spoiling the viewing. It was nearly £800 so do you think we should try to get another or do you think that it is better to just live with it The woman on the Helpline said it was very common on Laptops and flatscreens.
Foxy i would take it back and change it lot of rubish what she said to you and you paid a lot of money
Stewart
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2005, 06:30 PM
I don't know if it's common in Laptops or not but any inperfection no matter what it is should be exchanged.

If you're buying something new it should be perfect
if they refuse then contact trading standards
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-08-2005, 07:27 PM
get a exchange if its a dead pixel then its a fault.
if you have just got it they should exchange it and give you a new one.
it is not common for them to have dead pixles it has been damaged in some way during storage, if it was a common problem they would have loads returned don't be fobbed off demand a new one!!!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 07:42 PM
It is common but certainly not acceptabe. Afraid I don't rate PC World much. Get it exchanged. Monitors often have a certain number of dead pixels but I've never actually been able to see one on a screen. Wouldn't accept their excuses. Stand your ground and if they give you a hard time the word 'Watchdog' usually gets them moving!!!!
Aileen
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:10 PM
I would go and give them what for Foxy.

I would echo what has been said, you have paid a lot of money for this and to get it home and it's not perfect then that isn't satisfactory.

If the pixel went after a while of having the machine then fair enough, but not on the first day

Aileen x
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:48 PM
I agree, it's faulty take it back, I have a laptop but don't have any problems with the screen.

Kick up a fuss, loud enough for everybody to hear if they won't change it.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all your replies and advice My O/H decided to nip down after work with it and see what they said. Anyway they absolutely refused to change it and said that they had probably got more in the storeroom with the same problem They said that they MIGHT just consider changing it if it was in the middle of the screen but definitely not where it is (at the top)
I was thinking that when I put pictures on that the pixel will be quite obvious
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 09:01 PM
Have I got to start the car again Foxy????

Take it back and politely demand to see the Manager of the store. Very politely ask him/her to commit to paper the fault as he accepts it and his reason for not exchanging the item. Ask for his full name and the Head Office address and complaints department, also the Head Office and complaints departments address for the manufacturer of the Laptop and explain that you will be writing to both asking for an explaination of their returns policies and enquiring about training in regards to the customer attitude from senior members of staff.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2005, 09:22 PM
Here Here Ashlady! and then if that doesn't work 'Watchdog', and watch them squirm!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >