Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Arthritis

Si is a sorry dog tonight. He over did it at the river on Tuesday. We only had a mooching walk today, but he is still all stiff and creeky

He is 12. I had an awful time with him when he was only about 8. He would go 100 yards then lie down in pain. Glucosamin (sp) seems to have really helped him for a good few years Apart from the time when he was really bad, he has not had painkillers.

He was a plodding "old dog" at 9 when we got Jake, and the last few years have been great for him! He LOVES bouncing after Jake, he loves playing with him.

Poor old boy is suffering tonight. We had a visit to the river on Tuesday, and a ball throwing marathon

I don't wont to stop Si enjoying life. So I wondered if there was anything else I could give him?
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Apart from the usual fish oils I have heard green lipped muscle extract is good for arthritis.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Si is a sorry dog tonight. He over did it at the river on Tuesday. We only had a mooching walk today, but he is still all stiff and creeky

He is 12. I had an awful time with him when he was only about 8. He would go 100 yards then lie down in pain. Glucosamin (sp) seems to have really helped him for a good few years Apart from the time when he was really bad, he has not had painkillers.

He was a plodding "old dog" at 9 when we got Jake, and the last few years have been great for him! He LOVES bouncing after Jake, he loves playing with him.

Poor old boy is suffering tonight. We had a visit to the river on Tuesday, and a ball throwing marathon

I don't wont to stop Si enjoying life. So I wondered if there was anything else I could give him?

Glucosamine preferably HCl works best when combined with chondroitin.
MSM
Green Lipped Mussel
Rosehip
Cetyl - Myristoleate
Fish Body Oils (plus Vitamin E)
Vitamin C
Hylaraunic Acid
Ginger
Curcumin (from Turmeric)
Bromelain
Devils Claw

Acupuncture
Magnets
Rhus Tox/Ruta Gravis
Hydrotherapy
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Has the arthritis been diagnosed by a vet? If not, definately worth a trip, as treatment for aches and stiffness can very depending on condition. Vets will be able to give some good pain relief too, though there's also options like devil's claw (herbal supplement), fish oils, a change of diet (some foods are believed to aggravate arthritis - grains, tomatoes and red meat being a few that have been speculated), and stuff like hydrotherapy to strengthen the muscles and take the strain off the joints.
http://www.dogaware.com/health/arthr...s.html#natural may be worth a read
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:16 PM
Thanks all. Yep, diagnosed.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:18 PM
arthritis is just another word for wear and tear!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
arthritis is just another word for wear and tear!
I have it too, and my thumb can resemble a balloon some days! Thankfully not yet in my legs
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 08:03 PM
I had a young dog who had severe arthritus, when it was bad the vet put her on metacalm but she still yelped sometimes.

I then heard about manuka honey with added bee venom. I can honestly say within 25mins of her having a bit she was a different dog.

I got it on line from a company called nectar ease. You have to get the one with "added bee venom" as that bit works as a good pain killer. But if you do order it just give them a tiny tiny bit to start as like humans some people or animals can react to been venom.

I am nothing to do with this website, but have personally seen manuka honey work wonders. If i ever suffered from arthritus i wouldn't hesitate.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:04 AM
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
I had a young dog who had severe arthritus, when it was bad the vet put her on metacalm but she still yelped sometimes.

I then heard about manuka honey with added bee venom. I can honestly say within 25mins of her having a bit she was a different dog.

I got it on line from a company called nectar ease. You have to get the one with "added bee venom" as that bit works as a good pain killer. But if you do order it just give them a tiny tiny bit to start as like humans some people or animals can react to been venom.

I am nothing to do with this website, but have personally seen manuka honey work wonders. If i ever suffered from arthritus i wouldn't hesitate.
That sounds like it's worth a try....

Roxy had arthritis but was on Metacam for the latter part of her life, which helped tremendously.

You do have to have checks (blood) every six months or so, though........

x0x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Acupuncture helped my last GSP enormously (pain relief). See if there`s a vet that offers it in your area.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >