Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leelo
New Member!
Female 

26-10-2006, 10:47 AM

Absolute fear of fireworks

New to the site so may have missed discussions etc on this, so sorry if going over old ground! My youngest staffy bitch (3 years) is absolutely terrified of the noise of fireworks. She was fine until 18 months old, and I can't recall a particular incident that set it off. Anyway, she is now so terrified she won't go out at night once the firework season starts. When she hears one, she starts to pant and hyperventilates, eyes open wide and staring and I can't get any real response from her. This has now transferred to my other 2 dogs who don't know what the panic is for but they follow her lead. Tried the vet last year but the stuff they gave only made it so she couldnt move her legs she just lay there panic stricken plus couldnt move either. Any suggestions (she will settle reluctantly if on my knee - but it is impractical as firework season lasts a long time!!!). I have tried putting 'boomy' music on stereo to try mask noise - no change.
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2006, 11:13 AM
Hi and welcome to dogsey. There was a discussion on this a few days ago and the following might help you

"At our training club tonight we had a talk about firework phobia from a veterinary nurse from one of the local veterinary practices.

She gave us some ideas on how to deal with this problem and I thought I would pass them on for anyone who has a dog with this problem - I am going to try some with our young GR.

A DAP diffuser, available from vets and pet stores, can help to make your dog feel more relaxed and confident but needs to be plugged in at least 2 weeks before the event so not much time left before November 5th.

Minimise the amount of light coming into the room by shutting the curtains and putting on the lights.

Moderately loud music with a good bass beat can be played to cover the bangs of the fireworks - quieter "light" music will not mask the noise of the fireworks.

If your dog tries to hide make sure it can have access to a place it feels comfortable in - a cage that has been covered over, under a bed, the bathroom etc but ensure that the doors to the room can't close on him and cause more panic if he is unable to get out when he wants to.

If you are expecting fireworks that evening give your dog a large stodgy meal late in the afternoon that is full of carbohydrates as this can help to make them feel calm and sleepy. Mashed potato, rice or pasta are ideal.

When the fireworks start take your dog to his hiding place and let him stay there. Don't make a fuss of him as this will reinforce the idea that there is sokmething to be wary of. Ignore your dog until he is calm again and then praise the calm behaviour.

Dog earplugs can be bought from pet stores or you can make some using wrung out dampened cotton wool. Make sure you don't push them too far into the ear or make them so fat that they hurt being put in, nor so thin they fall out or,even worse , fall down inside the ears. Remember to remove them once the fireworks have stopped.

I haven't tried any of these methods myself yet but thought I would pass on the information we were given tonight in the hope that you may find it useful."
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2006, 11:23 AM
hi Leelo and welcome to Dogsey Fireworks are a terrible problem and there really are no easy solutions
Here are a few suggestions which may help ..
Try a dap diffuser if you haven't already,
..take the dogs out before the fireworks start,
..bed the dogs down curtains closed radio or TV on loud,
..try not to anticipate problems or get stressed yourself this will be transfered to the dogs and make them fearful,
..don't sympathise with their fear, this could reinforce the fact there is something to be afraid of, instead speak to them in a cheerfully upbeat voice, maybe play games to distract, failing that sit with them but ignore them .
..I know it is hard not to comfort the stricken ones perhaps the vet can offer a different medication, it may be worth asking.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-10-2006, 11:25 AM
Sorry posted at the same time as Sanchez
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Tell you what else helps, playing call of Duty really loud on the Xbox when they are young, and they just sort of become immune to loud bangs

Seriously though, its a shame it has caused so many problems for you, and its difficult for the dog to overcome, mini and sanchez have given some good advice!
shirls
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I've found rescue remedy has helped Bailey. He was terrified last week but after using this he listens and is a bit jumpy but not so pannicky. There is also a cd you can buy to desensitise them but this has to used a few weeks before fireworks start but it is an option for next year.
It is awful hope you find something that works for your doggies.
Shirley
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2006, 08:25 PM
You may want to consider using this:

http://www.hyperdrug.com/prodinfo.asp?number=FEARFIRE

My sis uses a similar CD and recons it does work.
Mutley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Hiya,

My mum's Staffy Stanley hates fireworks and it is a terrible time of year! He has walks throughout the day, the last being arounf 4 or 5pm just to avoid the loud bangs! They terrify him!
Just went out and bought some D.A.P. from the vets today. £25 for four weeks, if it works then its worth it. I heard it is suppost to let of a scent similar to what a puppy smells when with its mother and is calming to dogs in stressful enviroments.
leelo
New Member!
Female 

27-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks everyone for your helpful replies. I will certainly try feeding a large meal for the couple of nights around the 5th when I anticipate most fireworks will be going off. On the odd time I have had to leave my dogs for more than 4 hours on an evening I have fed them a larger meal than usual to make them sleepy!!! I will try the DAP thing, and just keep the bass music playing. She has a cage that is covered with heavy blankets but she wont go in it when the noise starts - I think she tries to get away from the noise and she can still hear it in the cage so wont go there for solace. Will try the ear plugs as well, but she's not too happy with her ears being touched so may cause her more distress - I'll give it a try tho. Thanks again everyone
Nikki_and_Brodi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-10-2006, 02:51 PM
hi my boy is the exact same! I'm going to try the big meal tonight and hopefully that just sends him to snooze land! my dog trainer is going to give me something next wk, if he remembers lol, can't remember what its called! But he says its great, abit stronger than rescue! Anyway once i get it, ll let u know how it goes!

But won't it just be easier to ban fireworks!? I'm always in two minds about what to do with the horses! If you leave them in my horse wrecks the stable and climbs the walls literally! But if he's out he gallops about the place and has been known in his old home to go straight through the wire fence!

Oh the joys of animals at this time of year! As if the rain and wind wasn't enough!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >