View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 03:02 PM
How do you know if it has a preservation order on it?

Just before I moved in here, the tree was the big, the branches reach my roof (extending across the garden to the house - tree is at bottom of their garden)....but luckily they chopped it right back.

Hadn't thought of cutting the roots....but we were thinking of building a small rockery on the 'mound' they have created.

Have nearly finished gardening for the day...managed to mow the back law, trim the hedge, plant a whole flower bed out, spread a bag of bark, trnasfer some potted seedlings to larger pots, transfer some into flower beds!
Just need to sweep the patio now, and water everything in an hour or so!
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Generally,most trees over 25 years old have a preservation order automatically bestowed on them Heather,but your council should be able to clarify their own rules better.Ask your neighbour how long the tree has been there and if they would mind you cutting the roots (if this would make any future building work easier).

A lot of homes have trees planted in the wrong place and the goverment are to blame here! Once upon a time,they decided Britain needed greening up and came up with the slogan 'Plant a tree in 73' and people planted Oak,Walnut,Sycamore etc in small surburban garden which by now are enormous...
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2006, 07:52 PM
Well I've had a back-breaking weekend in the garden. I've been doing some real hard graft and I've moved 3/4 of a ton of pebbles, built a new path from scratch and chopped back loads of shrubs and had an enormous bonfire. I've only concentrated on a small area of the garden but I'm pretty proud of how that bit's looking now. My back's killing and I'm covered in mud and cement dust but I feel like I've finally getting somewhere with the garden now.

Here's how it was before:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/DSCF2445.jpg

under construction:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/DSCF2542.jpg

and here's gow it looks now:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/DSCF2657.jpg

some closer shots of the new bit:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/DSCF2664.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/DSCF2673.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/DSCF2717.jpg

As you can see Meg is a big fan of the new pebbles. I think she thinks she's at the beach!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Blinking heck you have worked hard, I do envy you the "enjoyment of planning and then"making" the garden. But don't envy you to work involved.

Excellent though really nice coming on in leaps and bounds.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Minda, fantastic work, all out gardens will look great for the summer, then all we will do then will be "SIT IN IT"
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Looks great Minda!
How much more work do you have to do?
minda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2006, 03:04 PM
There's a lot more work. The area I've finshed this weekend is only approximately 1 eighth of the bottom part of the garden! Luckily I do enjoy doing the work, even the heavy stuff. I don't think I'd know what to do if the garden was "finished". I could never just sit in it for too long without wanting to build something, or change the layout a bit or move some plants around. I think I enjoy the planning and working as much as the finished product.

Thankfully I've already finished the patio area near the house so that I do have somewhere to sit out and enjoy the sun with a drink in my hand!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 05:16 PM
Wow looks great!!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by minda
There's a lot more work. The area I've finshed this weekend is only approximately 1 eighth of the bottom part of the garden! Luckily I do enjoy doing the work, even the heavy stuff. I don't think I'd know what to do if the garden was "finished". I could never just sit in it for too long without wanting to build something, or change the layout a bit or move some plants around. I think I enjoy the planning and working as much as the finished product.

Thankfully I've already finished the patio area near the house so that I do have somewhere to sit out and enjoy the sun with a drink in my hand!

I'm the same my garden was never overgrown or out of control but over the years I have moved so manythings added and removed then added again lawns, paving, etc etc now if nothing has moved people are surprised. I'd get bored to I can't just sit well not for long.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Garden looking good Minda. I did nothing in the garden this week-end but spent it painting the walls of the house - just the one wall left to do now but its the one where I need the ladder and I am not really that keen going right to the top!
Page 9 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 >