View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 09:32 AM

Dogs - don't they just know how and when to show you up?

Molly and I were at our first proper KC heelwork to music show yesterday.

During training and outside of the ring yesterday, even in the training area just before our time in the ring, she was great. Doing all she should be doing and loving it. So, I thought 'great, she'll do as she should today!'.

Oh no, Miss Molly had other ideas, didn't she? Instead of doing what she should've been doing and even me trying to get her to do ANYTHING at all, she decided she would play bow and bark, then just stand there and look at me. Talk about embarrassment! I was mortified. Even if I'd had treats in the ring I'm almost certain she still wouldn't have done anything.

I even thought of stopping doing it altogether at one point yesterday. However, I'm told this is quite normal (sometimes!) and most people have been there at some point and not to worry about it. We'll see!

Hopefully, in time, she will be ok in the ring. I don't think my bad bout nerves helped her much!

Dogs - don't you just love 'em sometimes.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Oh dear, I'm sure they do it on purpose, I bet she was having a good giggle

If it's any consolation, Jake decided he didn't know how to do a "down" at training the other week At least while everyone was looking.
nickynockynoono
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:47 AM
Although it would appear that Molly was being a minx, I'd say she genuinely didn't know what you expected her to do. Behaviours need to be generalised everywhere, including the ring. No treats makes the task even more difficult.

Never having thought about it before but obedience must be so much easier to generalise than dancing. New behaviours taught in the house, garden, park and then anywhere else you can think of. You could get yourself arrested, ha ha ha.

Seriously, do you train in the park? that would be more like the ring than just training in the house or garden.

Nicky
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Oh dear, I'm sure they do it on purpose, I bet she was having a good giggle

If it's any consolation, Jake decided he didn't know how to do a "down" at training the other week At least while everyone was looking.
I think she was a bit a anxious about it to be honest and I don't think I helped matters with my nerves! Yes, and one point though I do think she was having a right good laugh! Cheeky minx!

They definitely do know how to play you. Well, Molly does!

Cheeky Jake!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by nickynockynoono View Post
Although it would appear that Molly was being a minx, I'd say she genuinely didn't know what you expected her to do. Behaviours need to be generalised everywhere, including the ring. No treats makes the task even more difficult.

Never having thought about it before but obedience must be so much easier to generalise than dancing. New behaviours taught in the house, garden, park and then anywhere else you can think of. You could get yourself arrested, ha ha ha.

Seriously, do you train in the park? that would be more like the ring than just training in the house or garden.

Nicky
It was a combination of myself and Molly. My trainer said that after I'd blamed myself. I still think it's probably mainly my fault as I might've been moving too swiftly for her or something. Anyway, it's perhaps a lesson learned!

Yes, I train inside the house, in the garden, at training class and at the park, so it's not that, I don't think. It was a new environment and she's not the boldest of dogs so I think it was a combination of things really.

But it's still embarrassing!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I wouldn't worry as I went to an award day for heelwork to music and our instructor had entered too with his 2 dogs; a Border Collie and a Shiba Unu. The Shiba flatly refused to do ANYTHING the first 2 goes he had so he put it back in its crate and had a go later when it got a distinction!

It was interesting watching how much harder he had to work with the Shiba than the Collie thought the Shiba was lovely when it was working but boy did he earn his award!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I wouldn't worry as I went to an award day for heelwork to music and our instructor had entered too with his 2 dogs; a Border Collie and a Shiba Unu. The Shiba flatly refused to do ANYTHING the first 2 goes he had so he put it back in its crate and had a go later when it got a distinction!

It was interesting watching how much harder he had to work with the Shiba than the Collie thought the Shiba was lovely when it was working but boy did he earn his award!
If ever there was a reward for wanting to work, which involved "bark bark, next, what? What do you want me to do? Bark! Why are we not doing ANYTHING? BARK What? Now! Me? Wow! Really? What?" Jake would win, gold medal, every time.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 08:27 PM
awww bless, looks like you both had a bout of stage fright, i am sure next time will be fine
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Glad you are not being as hard on yourself as you were yesterday I was coming on here to slap you if you were

I didn't see Molly in the ring too busy running about like a blue bottomed fly!!!

As I said it's taken ages to get me relaxed and confident in the ring never mind Zymi but it does come.

Hope you can manage the demo at Dundee that will give you experince of performing in public.

Hang in there
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Mine shows me up any time he has an audience He delights in making people laugh and knows exactly how to do it. And does he care that I stand there red faced while he cavorts around with a huge grin on his face doing anything but what he should be? Does he heck!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Nerves, being in a new environment etc probably had a lot to do with it. I'm sure next time you'll both do better
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >