Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ari
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Shaving Double Coated Dogs

I would never shave my dog, but she went in to get fixed and they shaved off A LOT of fur from her tummy area up to her black saddle (she's a black and tan)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...G/IMG_9281.jpg the entire silver/tan part was shaved off until it hit the black, her black dips down low but I'm scared her fur won't grow back right. They also shaved a nice big chunk on both of her front feet. Any advice? Am I being overly worried?

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...P/IMG00191.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f1...P/IMG00192.jpg
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 04:44 PM
The front feet will be because of IV drips etc - to keep fluids in her and to get to veins to adminster the anesthetic.

They will have shaved her to get inside her and so the wound was able to be cleaned - there is nothing wrong with what they did it's proceedure.

Edit:

Fur and hair grows - hence moulting and groomers
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 09:44 PM
My Leo had a large area shaved from his abdomen, from his side and his leg when he had to have procedures done at Cambridge Vets College a few years ago (will see if I can find pics) and his hair grew back no problem and fairly quickly too considering how much they'd shaved off him ... so I wouldn't worry too much Unfortunately Vets unlike us Groomers get a bit carried away with the clippers but as SLB has said whilst the incision is healing its not a bad thing that the area is free of hair & easy to monitor
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2010, 10:42 PM
Yes, don't worry about the shaving - it will grow back only too quickly, you wait and see! Just had to say though your shepherd is a very pretty girl.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Thats completely normal and necessary for the procedure. Its necessary for sterility to have a hairless area easily sterilized when cutting into the abdomen. Not excessive in the least. Quite standard. Will grow back in no time.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 10:31 PM
That isn't remotely excessive for the op she had, as others have said you need a good area around the surgical incision to ensure sterile operating.

My double-coated, long-haired dog needed much, much more shaved off for an ultra sound of his whole stomach.

It grew back fine, although it took about 6 months to get back to full length as he had just had a moult.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2010, 11:55 PM
Its normal know the anxiety tho. Our kitten was done few weeks ago & i keep thinking her fur is soooo slow to grow back but know it will.