Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Dementia dog keeps randomly screaming

It's been a long time since I've been on this forum but I could really do with some advise if anyone has any experience or thoughts on this and remembered this place has helped me many a time.

I have had my elderly toy poodle coming up 4 years. He will be 15 I believe this year. I've rehomed a number of elderly dogs however he is the first I have encountered what the vets believe is dementia. 90% of the time he appears content. He does have quite a bit of pacing and bouts of confusion.

The problem behaviour is his random screaming. It goes through me every single time and it sounds honestly as though he'd broke a bone with the urgency and pain sound. He has been checked over by the vet several times all they can confirm is he is a very dramatic character.

He can do it from you moving while he sits on your lap, sitting in his crate, when he comes in from the toilet, but most frequently does it when he wakes up abruptly.

It can be any time of day and night or activity, lasts less than 30 seconds but I can't find anyway to snap him out of doing it. Sometimes I'm unsure if he's just doing it for attention?

It's really starting to take its toll on me mentally because every time I think he's in urgent need, it makes you jump for sure and I'm very anxious of my neighbours as they've already complained about him once. I have explained his illness but if they write to the council I don't know what I can do.

Physically he still plays like a puppy, he has lower muscle mass and always weighs lighter that I'd think with how much food he's given.

That's probably a lot of unnecessary info but I can't understand it and just don't know what to do
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-03-2019, 12:52 PM
I doubt your neighbours would get very far with the council as it lasts for such a short period. Unless of course it's happening for a short time every few minutes. If the vet can't suggest anything then I don't know what to suggest tbh.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2019, 04:56 PM
Unfortunately, what you are describing is fairly typical in a lot of dogs with dementia.

There is a prescription medication, Anipryl, that is often prescribed and seems to have some results. Might be one to discuss with your vet.

A friend of mine tried it and although it made things a little better, she switched to CBD oil which seems to be having better effects.

I'm not convinced of all the miracle results claimed for CBD oil for any and all ailments, but my friend seems to think it is working for her 16 year old JRT
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-03-2019, 05:50 PM
Thanks Trouble, that's reassuring I imagine you're right he can do this numerous times a day and night but it is very brief

Thanks Chris for the tip anything is worth a try!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2019, 07:35 PM
how dreadful for you Laura-Anne. I cannot think what to recommend to help - other than a very large glass of wine for your nerves!! Hopefully your poor dog does not suffer from these outbursts, but forgets them as soon they appease. Hope the CBD oil suggestion helps - I know a friend of mine found it extremely helpful - best of luck xx Gnasher
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2019, 07:53 PM
Thanks Gnasher. It's so hard to tell the only way I make peace is that his crying occurances are short I think it's more confusion than actual pain and vets have said there doesn't appear to be any reason physically.

I've ordered CBD oil so will feedback how we get on.

Huge thanks really appreciate the advice
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2019, 08:59 AM
Hello,
Have you tried using chamomile to help with calming in either the food or as a drink?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2019, 11:03 AM
No probs Laura-Anne, hope the chamomile and CBD oil helps!