register for free

Dog News

Life ban from keeping animals for Tranent man who starved two dogs

A TRANENT man who allowed his two dogs to become half their ideal weight has been given a life ban from keeping animals following a Scottish SPCA investigation.

Dean Ross, 30, was sentenced at Haddington Sheriff Court yesterday (Wednesday).

At a previous appearance, Ross pleaded guilty to failing to provide veterinary attention and a wholesome diet for his two Weimaraner dogs.

Ross was given a life ban on owning animals and a 200-hour community payback order, to be completed within nine months.

Commenting on the investigation and court case, Inspector Emma Phillips said: "We were alerted when Ross' female Weimaraner, named Roxy, was handed into another animal charity and they took her to a vet due to her poor body condition.

"Roxy was emaciated and weighed just 18kgs, which is half the weight she should have been. She had no muscle mass and all her bones were clearly visible.

"A blood test revealed no underlying health issues, confirming her weight loss had been caused by a lack of food.

"We were advised a second dog named Dexter had recently died at Ross' property and was buried in the back garden. We arranged for Dexter's body to be exhumed so a post mortem could be carried out.

"Dexter was severely emaciated and had protein-energy malnutrition, likely caused by a lack of food. The vet advised it would have taken several months for him to reach this stage.

"We are pleased Ross has received a lifetime ban on owning animals following our investigation.

"While tragically it was too late for Dexter, Roxy made a full recovery in our care and has since found a loving new home where she is doing well."
Article and photograph here...

http://www.eastlothiancourier.com/ne...rved-two-dogs/

Those poor dogs

Such an evil man - I am glad he has been given a life ban.

Your comments and views:
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-12-2014, 07:48 AM
OMG. Glad he is banned for life.
Actually that "ban" thing should be extended to humans that " kill with kindness"( I use the word kindness loosely just to coin a phrase) overfeeding their pets commercially produced pet foods to the point of gross obesity causing diabetes and other "fat" induced conditions.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Gosh, how do you starve your dogs to death? Just give them away if you don't want to feed them! Also, obese dogs are not always fed commercial diets. Raw feeding and other home feeding is often done wrong and robs the dog of important dietary aspects, as well.

I knew a man with two horribly obese dogs (Labradors) that he fed home cooked chicken and rice dinner each and every day. He made this special for them and they got it every single day.

Clearly he knew nothing about dog nutrition, but he loved those dogs and they were always seen with him on his lake. They loved him and followed him all over.

They seemed like generally happy dogs. They were incredibly friendly, got to swim etc. as much as they liked, and giving him an animal ban would have been extreme overkill. He just needed to learn how to feed dogs properly.

Yes, he is ignorant and I know that before you own dogs, you need to learn how to care for them, but he did love the dogs and the dogs did love him, he needed only to be taught how to feed them properly. Lifetime ban for that? I can't agree with that.
Musher
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-12-2014, 06:44 AM
Aw. That's a nice story.mjfromga.
It literally brought tears of emotion.
Remembering my old lead dog and my Dobey.
A dogs love is so beautiful and I feel so honoured for knowing it. Thank you.
It's probably just the season and having my whole fam around me that's made me emotional.

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top