register for free

Dog News

Farmer warns he will "shoot on sight"

http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.u...ail/story.html

This farmer, for various reasons is disliked amongst dog walkers. However I sympathise with him when something like this happens

Your comments and views:
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 06:09 PM
At least he is warning people, right? Here, your dog would be shot on sight without warning and if the farmer is in a particularly bad mood, might fire a few your way... as well.

But then again here... farms are fenced off and if you're on one, then you're blatantly trespassing. Not the same as this, I suppose.

I don't think you can really be angry at this man. Dogs are killing his livestock
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 06:24 PM
You're right Myra. Quite often they just shoot here too.
Farmer Haddock says in this article, it was too far to go and get his gun.

He is not a nice man and does everything to alienate dog walkers like blocking rights if way. But you can hardly blame him when this happens
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 06:35 PM
It's like you said Nippy. He sounds like a mean person, but perhaps if you were in his shoes... your patience would be gone, too. I feel sorry for him, I really do.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-04-2014, 06:46 PM
Whether people agree with him or not the law is on his side.
If you love your dog keep it on a lead near livestock is my motto.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 06:57 PM
I feel very sorry for him because he is loosing livestock.
As you say Lynn, the law in this case is definitely on his side and no one should have a dog off lead near any animals.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I wonder if people who allow their dogs to be off lead near livestock do not understand the livestock is a farmers living.

The other side of the coin is what if this dog has been dumped got out from somewhere or run away while on a walk and people were visiting and now gone home given up hope.
It doesn't change the fact that the farmer has the right to shoot due to his livelihood being destroyed but it may not be that someone is deliberately allowing their dog to kill his sheep. All very sad whatever the story sheep and lambs being killed and a dog will likely be shot.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 09:14 PM
I always thought you had to keep dogs on leads near livestock? I understand why he says what he says, wether he's a nice bloke or not
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-04-2014, 09:59 PM
About time the ridiculous law was ditched. Other businesses don't need to kill those that steal or vandalise their stock - they have insurance, CCTV, bollards, or build the loss into the price of the stock they sell. Surely humans can think of something better than killing dogs - who are very often a part of our family - not merely a commodity.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2014, 11:00 PM
But Azz, he said a dog was ripping the throats out of every lamb it saw. Surely nothing else short of killing the dog could save his animals? I mean why should he have to sit and watch while a dog kills his livestock?

I don't think it will ever be against the law for farmers to shoot dogs that are allowed to roam and maul livestock. It's the farmers responsibility to protect his livestock, and there really is not anything else that he can do
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top