Our sister sites
Our sister sites
holl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2009, 10:52 AM

Walks West Sussex

Hi

I live around the Midhurst area - recently moved - and am wondering if anyone can recommend good dog walks for me and Rufus - we kind of want proper dog walks where other dog walkers are proper dog walkers - if that makes sense - where we go at the moment is full of the elderly, families etc and with Rufus being a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback and still a puppy in training it can be very stressful!

Thanks

Holl
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Hi Holly,

Welcome to a lovely part of the country. Not far from Cowdry Park, Petworth House and some lovely South Downs walks.

As for specifics, your a little further west than me. I have googled a few sites for you already and there are a few suggestions on there.

Ask around, at the vets, pet shops and locals when out walking, alternatively join a club/puppy class for your RR and I am sure you will get some ideas from there.

Enjoy
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Hi Holly

Welcome to our part of the world, (we live near South Harting) not a million miles away

I cant help re-walks nearer your area, (we tend to walk around here), there are some stunning walks up on the downs though, my friend and I are walking the south downs way and have walked through your area.

Harting downs is also worth a visit especially when combined with a visit to the Royal Oak at Hooksway!!
holl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the tips...we do go up to the south downs but that can be problematic with Rufus depending on whose around - his recall is a disaster zone at the moment and he does really need an off lead run around but his size can be off putting to other dog owners/walkers etc. Was ideally after some places where, particularly walkers, are fairly scarce or where real doggie people walk - people who won't give me lots of abuse about Rufus being a dog in training!
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi

I live in Midhurst too, have you tried Ambersham Common? Bexley? or even Blackdown? All of those places you easily get away from people and not see a sole, and the very occasional one you do see will be understanding. If you want to give me a call for more details, I have pm'd you my telephone number
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Your pm is not working.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Your pm is not working.
Chunky, new members have to have posted a certain amount of times before theire pms work.
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Oh I didn't realise, sorry. Ummmm holi get posting, then I can give you more details
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Just had another idea. Go into either of the pet shops in Midhurst or either Vets, and ask for the telephone number of the groomer in June Lane, and they will pass on my telephone number to you
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Wow! You don't know how lucky you are! Midhurst is my absolutely fave place, and I'm in West Sussex too, but further south in Findon Village. I'm right at the foot of the South Downs with the South Downs way on it, so surely you must have the same? Get an ordinance survey map from your local post office and I'm sure you'll find some lovely walks. I know lots and lots but of course they're all down this way on the Downs, i.e. Cissbury, Chanctonbury, Sleepy Hollow which is Storrington that's gorgeous and only real dog walkers go on that one! We ought to arrange a dog meet kind of half way between us all, maybe at Fittleworth or something?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >