View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JIMMY LAW
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I was rehoming a Beagle pup when a Jack Russell attacked him he was only 12weeks old and picked the jack up by his back legs with my arms held out straight and handed the dog in this position saying i think this belongs to you. This was just a reaction because i have never heard of pulling an aggressor off like this but it did work well and the jack was so surprised it just hung there. What i have been told in the past and this was by a police dog handler was that you rap a jacket around your arm and wave it in front of the aggressor and it will clamp onto your arm. I must say this was for getting a dog off a child but i guess if your brave enough then it might work.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Great thread

Well ive broken up about 4 fights in my lifetime, one was 2 dobermans attacking my JRT. Its a lot harder when its two dogs, and i honestly dont know how i got them off my dog but i had to literally throw her into a close garden with a high fence. Then blocked with my body while the man was trying to contol both dogs. I wouldnt really know what to do now with more than one dog.

But as for dealing with one dog attacking mine, i would firstly go for the scruff of the neck and try and minipulate them from there. If thats not working i would probably kick the dog in the nuts or as some people have suggested on here, grab its back legs and life them up.

Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
Whilst we're all having a go at the attacking dog's owner's to get their nasty orrible dogs off our lovely doggies - even worse, imagine if if was our lovely doggie who has never hurt a fly attacks another dog!
God I'm being cheerful today (not)- it's all just made me think "what if......
As for this i know to go for the scruff of the neck of my dog. I know what makes her tick and would bea ble to get her off.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-05-2009, 02:37 PM
You weren't at the Cheddar Gorge with him last May Day weekend on the Sunday were you??
I mean the Leonburger!!!!
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Things that are to hand at these awful times can be a life saver. In the past hairspray (just happened to have small can in bag) straight in face worked quite well. The personal alarm works. And a friend of mine used to carry small fire extinguisher! Those aerosol powered horns very effective too.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Yikes...that dog sounds like a piece of work. Wouldn't fancy living next door to that.

Same old sad story of a dog not handled properly by the owners. Not enough exercise. Airedales are large, high energy dogs and need a lot of exercise. This poor boy is never let off the lead, and only walked rarely, certainly not every day. He is actually a lovely dog, not the Sh1t I called him earlier. He just needs some exercise poor dog. All that cooped up energy comes out as aggression. I just itch to take him out on my mountain bike (me on the bike, not the Airedale!), and let him stretch his legs with my Tai. They would be fine together, they would be too busy trying to keep up with me to have the energy to fight !
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
You weren't at the Cheddar Gorge with him last May Day weekend on the Sunday were you??
I mean the Leonburger!!!!
Thought Tawney was having a Senior Moment there for a second !!

labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Same old sad story of a dog not handled properly by the owners. Not enough exercise. Airedales are large, high energy dogs and need a lot of exercise. This poor boy is never let off the lead, and only walked rarely, certainly not every day. He is actually a lovely dog, not the Sh1t I called him earlier. He just needs some exercise poor dog. All that cooped up energy comes out as aggression. I just itch to take him out on my mountain bike (me on the bike, not the Airedale!), and let him stretch his legs with my Tai. They would be fine together, they would be too busy trying to keep up with me to have the energy to fight !
It wouldn't hurt to ask. The worst they can say is no. Obviously just don't take your dog.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Ah, there is more to this tale, much more Labradork ! Probably better just to say that hell would most likely freeze over before they would allow such an Irresponsible Dog Owner (I think that's what "she" called me last time we spoke!) to take their valuable pedigree Airedale for a walk with my common mongrel !!

You will probably have got a good picture of these people !!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2009, 03:10 PM
... or without the common mongrel for that matter !!

Probably think I'M a common mongrel as well !!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
So has anyone got any advice in the specific situation of small dogs being attacked by a larger one?
J
Hi J Once a fight starts the dog's body will be flooded with adrenalin which means it is unlike to be able to hear you so shouting won't help.
Try to buy a moments pause in the fighting with an element of surprise.
Throw something over the dog's eyes, a coat/jumper/anything you have to hand. This hopefully will cause the dog to let go for a split second. Now pick up the dog's back legs wheelbarrow fashion and walk back wards turning slightly if you can to break eye contact.
Hopefully then you can gain control of the dogs.
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >