Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 06:37 AM

Daily Thread, Thursday, 17th October, 2019

Good morning everyone, hope you are all well or getting there. Not sure what the day is going to bring but are we all ready for it? Hope all four legged friends are doing ok. Amber is having her breakfast and will soon be ready for her first walk of the day.

Have a good day and wrap up warm and dry and above all stay safe and well. God bless.
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 07:37 AM
Good morning Moyra and all who follow

Hope you are feeling better today Griff

Also you Harvey hope you are now feeling a lot better.

Raining when I got up but cleared so I could get out without getting wet. Have taken the chance and planted out some cuttings I had of carnations if they don't' survive will take some more next year. Nothing else planned so will wait to see what the day throws at me.

Hope all are well

Have a good day and stay safe.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Morning all.

Life is good here the cold/chest infection is moving on I think. Went to bed at 7pm last night and got up at 8am.

Need to do some shopping and walk the dog.

Hope all is good with all of you.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Morning Moyra, Sue, Kazz and all who follow.
Nice bright morning here and a lovely walk. Met a guy with a Victorian bulldog x Mastiff called Millie. 5 months old and a little nervous he has moved down from Enfield due to all the gang problems there and finding the Fenlands very different.

Us and another guy who has lived here a lot longer were telling him of nice walks and other parks and he left us to go and explore.

Might go out for breakfast and top up Dillons food and treat tin but have something being delivered between 2.30 and 3.30 and will need to be back. Problem is Dillon is enjoying the sunshine.

Hope everyone is well and all four legged friends are to.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-10-2019, 03:41 PM
'afternoon all

Somehow it seems I missed out yesterday partly because I was feeling good and wanted to catch up on some jobs.

Griff. thought about you, we had a letter about 'flu jabs' also, I'm not sure if I should have them, seeing consultant tomorrow so will see what he says.

Lynn - I read your comments about the boiler guy who sadly took his own life. Of course this is a tragedy and anyone of us will feel some guilt, but I would like to mention a statistical fact which has been verified time and time again.

The % level of suicide (per head of population) has always remained about the same. I (and most people) would imagine it would shoot up in times like the 'Great Depression' (1930's) or during wars (First WW 1914 - 1918 (Second WW 1939 - 1945) but it did not. All the stories of people jumping out of windows on Wall Sreet in 1929 are untrue. Even the Irish potatoe famine (whenever that was) didn't change the suicide statistics by more than a whisker.

After we left our previous home we were told that the man across the valley had hanged himself. Really tragic as he was a nice guy and I had built up a friendship (even 'tho the language was a problem) these things stay with you but at the end of the day people take this action and there's very little anyone can do to prevent them. There's plenty of emphasis on so called 'proffessional help' which may, or may not, stop someone committing suicide, but if that works then it can only be for the time he /she is in treatment, it can't be forever, unless we are talking about permanent everlasting counselling for anyone who thinks they might need it.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 04:40 PM
Harvey, my son Steve used to invite a number of friends round once a week to play darts and I used to cook for them and provide drinks, one of these lads who I had a special liking for was supposedly happily married to a lovely girl from his teen years, he was just a couple of years older than Steve and one day out of the blue he hanged himself in his garage, we were all so shocked because Will had a lovely sense of humour, you can never tell. Still miss him very much but his wife Lynn, lovely lady must have been devastated. We sometimes used to dog sit their Labrador for them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-10-2019, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
Harvey, my son Steve used to invite a number of friends round once a week to play darts and I used to cook for them and provide drinks, one of these lads who I had a special liking for was supposedly happily married to a lovely girl from his teen years, he was just a couple of years older than Steve and one day out of the blue he hanged himself in his garage, we were all so shocked because Will had a lovely sense of humour, you can never tell. Still miss him very much but his wife Lynn, lovely lady must have been devastated. We sometimes used to dog sit their Labrador for them.

You will always remember them, could they have been persuaded to take a different course in life, hard to know, I was working with a guy who one day told me that both his brother and sister had committed suicide. I was utterly job smacked, how hard that must have been, yet Tony had accepted it and he never ever thought about the same thing.
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 05:54 PM
Harvey, you can have the flu jab and in fact your consultant will most likely insist that you have it...the only thing you can't have is a "live vaccine" i.e where the injection contains active strains of what they are vaccinating against... yellow fever is I believe one. The flu jab is NOT a live vaccine...it can't give you the flu, it will help protect you against certain strains of flu...it doesn't stop you getting it ( it's not an immunisation) but if you do get the flu it will be less severe. I have had the flu jab for 7 years now and the only side effect I get is a sore arm where the needle goes in
Kazz, pleased you are feeling a bit better
Lynn, hope you got out to get your bits and bobs
Sue, I am feeling much better thank you...I just dread Wednesday's lol
Moyra, sorry to hear of Steve's friend...a lad I drank with chucked himself off a multi storey, he was only young 19/20..we all went through the why didn't we notice, could we have done something and in all honesty...he seemed fine, we all do something each year now in his memory for a charity that helps people with mental illness depression etc
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Hm reading the previous posts I'm sorry to say even when well meaning friends say we are always there for you they can't be 24/7 I hate that saying but its true they can't be and they have no idea what the individual is going through.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2019, 06:17 PM
Brenda, you are right. After the hold ups and break in at the Post Office I was so close to ending it all, if it hadn't been for my dogs then I would have done because I felt it would be better for all concerned. How I got through that I don't know and I still have nightmares and regrets, but I have finally accepted it was not something I could as I deemed it selfish. I can only hope for a better life to come.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >