Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Putting Weight on a broken leg?

Hi, as some of you know Willow has a broken front leg which is now held in place using external fixators.

Before the op she had a splint and was using the leg alittle, but because it was healing wrong it had to be rebroken and the fixators put in place.

She is one week over her op and just come off antibiotics, still on painkillers. No exercise, except out in the garden for toilting and breif stretch of the legs.

Has anyone here experiance of a dog having undergone something similar? I was wondering how long it will be before I see her attempting to put a little weight on it? At the moment it's just getting dragged behing her.

There is still alittle heat and swelling in the limb, I take this to be normal since she has just finished antibiotics and there is no discharge from the pin or wound sites.

Just any of your experiances with something like this wold be useful. I don't have any serious questions that need to be appraoched by the vet, just general day to day stuff.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi Evie,

I would think she will have considerable muscle wastage due to the time she has not been able to use the leg properly since the initial injury, so the fixator and padding is probably too heavy for her to deal with just yet. It may just take a little time for her to build up strength to start trying to use it, especially Willow being of a light sinewy build anyway, but even just dragging the weight of it it for loo trips should help gently start that process.

Some fixators dont allow use of the limb depending on their configuration and some dogs I would think may just take a while to get confident as the balance is so different for them.
Also, due to the complication of the break, she probably associates using the leg with pain so could well be hesitant to try to use it which is probably a good thing in as much as not trying to use it more than she should yet - at least she is not giving you palpitations from pushing herself or literally trying to run before she should walk as it were which is a big worry in dogs which just wont rest [ Collies are usually a right mare for that ].

So long as the pin sites are staying nice and clean, and no sign of infection or undue pain or discomfort, I wouldnt worry - its early days yet, but if in any doubt, just give the vet a ring - they probably expect many calls for reasurance and checking in from owners whose pets have had this procedure :smt001
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks Patch.

My youngest kid tripped tonight and stoood on the sore leg (though not her full weight). Willow gave her a nip. The two of them were squealing in pain.....
I didn't know who to comfort first!!! :smt010 :smt009 :smt022

So I had one in each arm on the floor. I nearly had heart failure over the whole episode. Willows leg seems to be bothering her a little more today already, now this. I'll ring the vet tomorrow if needs be.

My kid has a nasty bruise on her leg now, but knows why it happened and made up with Willow after.

Both got some arnica tablets after that. Which reminds me, I must buy some more cream since we ran out.

Such an episode!!!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Hi Evie As Patch says I think the heavy fixator and muscle wastage may inhibit movement just now . Maybe later you may want to consider something like hydrotherapy.
This is a link to the CHA showing various centres around the country. click here
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2006, 08:50 AM
Wonderful Mini!
I found one that isn't a million miles away from me. I've emailed to enquire about price and other info.

Thank you.