Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-01-2017, 03:38 PM

Charging a car battery

This applies to a car with stop/start facility. That is one that cuts off the engine when stationary and restarts when prepared to move off.

Other "normal" batteries can be charged with this charger as well on different settings.

These batteries are called AGM batteries and need special battery chargers for them.

Below is a photo of mine on charge with one of these special chargers

Not over clear I know but taken in my garage. This particular make (one of the best I have to add) can be set for motor bikes ordinary batteries and AGM batteries depending on the press button setting you make

it works of a series of indication lights telling what stage the charging is at. In the picture it is at stage 4 , there are 8 stages of charge

STEP 1 DESULPHATION
Detects sulphated batteries. Pulsing current and voltage, removes sulphate from the lead
plates of the battery restoring the battery capacity.
STEP 2 SOFT START
Tests if the battery can accept charge. This step prevents that charging proceeds with a
defect battery.
STEP 3 BULK
Charging with maximum current until approximately 80% battery capacity.
STEP 4 ABSORPTION
Charging with declining current to maximize up to 100% battery capacity.
STEP 5 ANALYSE
Tests if the battery can hold charge. Batteries that can not hold charge may need to be
replaced.
STEP 6 RECOND
Choose the Recond program to add the Recond step to the charging process. During the
Recond step voltage increases to create controlled gassing in the battery. Gasing mixes the
battery acid and gives back energy to the battery.
STEP 7 FLOAT
Maintaining the battery voltage at maximum level by providing a constant voltage charge.
STEP 8 PULSE
Maintaining the battery at 95–100% capacity. The charger monitors the battery voltage
and gives a pulse when necessary to keep the battery fully charged.

Not by far the cheapest of battery chargers ( this one around £50) but you get what you pay for
With the cold weather keeping a battery fully charged is advisable
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Useful product. In my motorhome I had a Sterling Power Ltd. battery charger which did all the above and more, designed and made in England to a superb quality and 5
year warranty. Of course it did cost five times as much

http://sterling-power.com/collection...o-charge-ultra