register for free

Dog News

Dog lovers unite in support of Alan Titchmarsh

...has received 22 comments (page 2)
Jantony
New Member!
Male 

18-01-2013, 02:00 AM
I think Alan did a very good job in that interview but it is also obvious that he wasn't advised properly, just shown some videos about dog interventions which Alan obviously knows very little about and assumed cruelty from a human point of view, totally understandable but wrong. If you follow, watch and analyze Cesar Millan's methods you will notice that he rarely trains dogs instead he deals with undesirable behavior in dogs such as aggression and hyperactivity to mention some. It is very different from training. Probably all of those reading this thread and in this website have dogs so we all probably know it is not always easy to capture a dog's attention, even the best trained and well behaved dogs can sometimes be distracted, specially younger dogs. Confronting a strange dog with behavioral issues can be dangerous even fatal so it requires a different kind of interaction than a regular training session with a familiar dog. He does "make contact" with an animal to get his attention, making contact can be a caress or a hit depending on the situation but I have never seen him BEAT UP an animal, actually his techniques only involve contact to capture the attention of the dog never as a training or rehabilitation method. If you followed his TV shows you probably have noticed this. His technique is all about stare, space and projection. Of course if you are dealing with unfamiliar dangerous dogs like he usually does, you have to use tools like collars even choke collars, more to guarantee his personal safety than to train the dog, totally understandable too even for dog lovers because as much as WE ALL love dogs, putting their comfort in front of someone's personal safety is just madness.

Like I said before, I've followed Cesar Millan's shows and watched him save many dogs which would otherwise continue to be abused by well intentioned but ignorant owners or even put down because they were deemed too dangerous, and yes he is a discipline first kind of guy but I have never seen him mistreat an animal, never seen him use aggression towards an animal has always been to stop an out of control dog biting another dog (and it always has been grabbing the dog to stop him) or to stop the dog from biting a person. Again, if you are against using whatever means necessary to stop a dog that's clearly in a frenzy and poses a danger to people or other dogs then you may want to consider getting yourself checked.

Last, I think his methods might, even though it shouldn't, bring controversy specially to those who like to think of dogs as people because they love them so much, like I do, but dogs are not people, and shouldn't be treated as such, that is the most common form of animal cruelty right there.

I am sure many of you will probably disagree with me and I'm no dog guru but I have had and loved dogs my entire life and it wasn't until recently that I learned to love and respect dogs on their terms, not mine.
kathyg
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Cesar Milan is dealing with worst case dogs. Dogs, that might otherwise be euthanised. We are not talking nice little family pets, we are talking aggressive and sometimes extremely badly behaved dogs. Not their fault, but either way, they ARE aggressive and sometimes dangerous. In my opinion, he does what is necessary to keep them alive and in the family home.
LCHHETS
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2013, 10:00 AM
mjfromga & Jantony make good points - CM is a champion for dogs, he has saved many dogs that were deemed dangerous and beyond help. He has many friends and colleagues in the US who are well respected dog and animal lovers. These professionals would not work or associate with him if he was cruel. His methods are, to the untrained eye, unorthodox, but in many cases the dog he is working with, has gone beyond the point were orthodox training would be of any use. CM is brutally honest with dogs and owners, which is often necessary in order to break the cycle of behaviour, of dog and owner. We all like to believe that dogs have feelings and empathy like humans, but the reality is, they are animals, with survival instincts and they need to know where they fit in to a household, in order to feel relaxed and comfortable. CM has unquestionable respect from his large pack of dogs, something i doubt he could command from brutality and cruelty alone? his pack outnumber him and could easily overpower him, but instead, they choose to follow him and in return they are given love, respect and protection. Yes he makes a lot of money from what he does, but he has also helped to raise awareness about many serious animal welfare issues, that would otherwise have gone unseen, e.g. puppy farms.
I do not advocate animal cruelty and would not support CM if i thought he was cruel, but i have seen many many examples of how he helps animals to live happy lives in a happy home environment. He is however an expert and i would encourage anyone to seek advice before trying his techniques, but adopting his calm assertive attitude, could help us all to be better dog lovers.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2013, 10:40 AM
You people from the UK with your pit bull genocide know nothing about how terrible lots of them are because of crap for owners/breeders and how much help they often need. LOTS of behaviorists and shelters have a NO pit bull policy which causes lots of dogs to die without a chance. He takes on all breeds of course, but lots of his cases are pit bulls. Cesar's model dog was named Daddy. He was a pit bull. He was a great dog. I think people are too harsh on him. Like I said, his methods are surely questionable and I'd not train a dog like that. He doesn't truly injure dogs though and though he kicks dogs and supports the use of harsh methods like shock collars (BIG no-no) maybe people should back off and look at what he's truly trying to do.
I think the the above is very patronising, us people in the UK, know more than you think about pitbulls, and I am sure if you do your research properly you will see the US has its own genocide dog problem,

Ans yes we know all about Daddy, he is the much love dog that CM thought so much of, they he strapped an e.collor to him, purely for TV coverage.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2013, 10:45 AM
LCHHETS CM is far from being a champion for dogs, aske the worlds leading animal charities , for their opinion, he (CM ) has had his day, the more negative publicity he gets the more people are opening their eyes to the fact he is as far removed from being tuned into dogs as the cats are, he has no idea how they tick, his consent coverage of him getting it wrong proves this.

He has many friends and colleagues in the US who are well respected dog and animal lovers. These professionals would not work or associate with him if he was cruel.
Sadly being a well respected celeb and loving dogs, does not mean one is blessed with common sense.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
That was good news AZZ.
Paul&Muttley
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-04-2013, 02:47 AM
I must also weigh in with support or Cesar Millan who has successfully dealt with extremely dangerous and fearful dogs, as well as people who have lacked the proper leadership qualities that dogs respect. Dogs and people have widely variant personalities and behaviors, and some dogs need a firm hand. None of Cesar's methods are in any way cruel or abusive, and his more controversial actions that have been highlighted in an effort to demonize him, are more ways to get a distracted dog's attention and change the mindset which may turn into aggression. He has also shown an incredible amount of humility and restraint when responding to some of the extreme attacks that continue to be aimed at him, while Victoria Stilwell once flew into a rage at the mere mention of his name. I have also seen anti-Cesar rhetoric which has threatened physical harm and death, which seems quite hypocritical for those who claim to embrace gentle "positive" methods.
Labernese
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2013, 08:22 PM
This is a little extreme in my opinion. I've watched all of Cesar's videos and have never seem him hit or kick a dog. He uses his hand as a way to 'bite' the dog and he nudges with his foot. He has never abused a dog.

Most people who think he is abusive have never dealt with an aggressive dog. It takes a real pack leader to save these dogs from being put to sleep. Leaders like Cesar Millan.

I recommend not putting Cesar down unless you have successfully rehabilitated a 100+ pound aggressive red-zone dog.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Hi Have always found Alan Titchmarsh a straight forward fella,its reflected in the books he has written,and for him to do that on camera,he must have had the gallery on side,or they would have pulled the plug.Someone one has to stand up for the canines well done AT Gemini54
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Pit bulls are not only genetically aggressive but if their owners train them to be aggressive then that is how they will shape up. Are you saying CM by his methods are using methods that these Pit Bulls have already learned? PB taken from puppyhood into a loving home can be loving dogs. It is purely how their owners react to them.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top