register for free

Dog News

Puppy shot dead by farmer after running off during a walk

...has received 53 comments (page 4)
Azz
Administrator
Male 

27-02-2012, 01:44 AM
I don't think you can compare how we'd feel if our pet was getting attacked to how a farmer would feel if his cattle was. We treat our dogs like part of the family - farmers treat their cattle for what they are, a commodity, an asset, something to be sold/killed/eaten - they may well care for their animals, but they certainly do not have the same feelings or form the bonds we do with our pets - which we treat like loved members of the family.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:46 AM
I see what you are saying, Azz, but I imagine farmers too are horrified when they see their hens being attacked.

When they see sheep being attacked, especially during lambing season, I imagine that coupled with the horror of the event and the aftermath itself is the fact that it's not just his 'commodity' that is suffering, but his livelihood too.

This particular farmer may have been trigger-happy, maybe not - we don't know the details other than, I believe, the courts judged his actions acceptable.

The only thing we do know for sure is that a simple lead/long line/flexi would have saved the dog's life, the courts time, the farmer's upset and the owners' grief.

A very strong a poignant message to all dog owners
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-02-2012, 07:54 AM
Always sad to hear of these incidents, but I do agree with the farmer's right to act.

I too come from a farming background, I acknowledge that if i allow my animal to worry livestock, even in "play" that I might just have to face the consequences.

Terrible waste, but so easily preventable.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Murphy 'caught' one of my hens last year, who had escaped from the run... it was horrific to watch. He and Max ragged the hen around the garden and field for a good 10 minutes, and there was absolutely nothing I could do to get them to drop the hen, who was screaming and squawking and flapping. They played tug with the hen, threw her in the air and caught her and did zoomies with her in their mouths. When she finally went limp and quiet, they dropped her. I put them in the house, and went to get the hen; expecting her to be dead already, or injured enough that I would need to despatch her.

As I picked her up, she sprang back to 'life', flapping and squawking. I examined her, and she was absolutely fine - covered in slobber - but undamaged. She is still fine months later.

Had that been a strange dog who had come into my garden and done that, I would have moved hell and high water to get the dog and give it a damn good kicking to let my bird go. I can see why a farmer would reach for his gun, especially if that had happened more than once. The problem is with hens, they make an awful noise and racket, so it always sounds worse than it is, meaning that whilst the bird might be undamaged, they will be screaming like they are about to be killed....
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:36 AM
I agree that a farmer does not view their hens, sheep, cattle etc in the same way as we view our dogs, ie as a pet. But many farmers have dogs and although they are working dogs rather than pets, many have a very close relationship with their dog, not dissimilar to the relationships we have with out dog. I think for most farmers, killing a dog is emotionally quite a hard thing to do, given that they too have experience of the bond between dog and human. Of course there are trigger happy farmers, was it so in this case? We just dont know. I would like to think that he would have fired a warning shot at the dog. It doesn't say that he did, but as has been mentioned by Krlyr, this is all reported from the owner's point of view.

For those who have suggested he catch the dog, clearly the owners weren't capable of recalling their own dog, how would a person that was a stranger to the dog succeed, particularly if the dog was engrossed in chasing the hens?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 08:41 AM
My post should say 'not dissimilar to the relationships we have with our dog' not 'with out dog'. I don't know how to edit news posts, sorry.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Surprisingly, I think it was OTT as well. I have heard stories like this and tbh, sometimes I side with the farmer. Were these just farmyard chickens, rather than his livelihood?

I have had dogs chase our chickens. I have heard the commotion and ran outside. Luckily, never had one killed but tbh, if I did, I would reach for the shotgun, and kill a dog.

My farrier was telling me a story yesterday about a woman getting her dog shot by a farmer. This woman had numerous warnings to stop letting her dog chase the sheep. The farmer really tried to tell her and do everything he could but she totally refused. I think he saw red one day and shot the dog. He went round to the woman and told her and she said that he enjoyed chasing sheep

Helen
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I agree, we don't know the exact story and probably never will. The only definite fact is that the poor dog was shot 'end of'. In some ways it's not relevant who was 'right' or 'wrong' the poor little chap suffered the penalty for 'maybe' a trigger happy farmer who was p.....d off with people allowing their dogs to stray onto his land and by his owners who allowed him to stray through the hedge whilst he was offlead. He certainly wasn't to blame but paid the price for everyone else's actions. RIP little chap. x
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2012, 12:42 PM
Just seen a MASSIVE typo in my post and I can't edit

I would reach for the shotgun, and kill a dog.
I WOULDN'T, reach for the shotgun!

Helen
someonewhoknows
New Member!
Male 

17-03-2012, 08:41 PM
right lets get this straight ,i was the owner of archie and we are recognised as responsible dog owners around here even by jack twomeys wife who is the farmer and not jack twomey who around here is known as a piss head. she knew archie and for someone to say he didnt know if it was a dog or a fox shouldnt hold a gun licence. he is not a poultry farmer or any kind of farmer, just a retired trigger happy scumbag who didnt carry out other options of perhaps shooing the small dog away . but no he had the big gun in his hand .his hand full of mangey chickens are not penned in but running over fields.no chickens were killed by archie. if you keep chickens all you people on here should realise you have a duty of protection,ie fences or pens. the man lives like a hillbilly and unfortunately he gives licence holders bad press
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top