Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:21 PM

1 meal or 2?

Before I definately lock down on what I am ordering (again!) for the next month, I wanted to know about feeding 1 or 2 meals. I'd planned it as Louie would get half and half biscuits in a morning and raw in the evening, to stop bloat. But after reading on the net and some links given to me..I found a raw feeder who fed just one meal of raw - she had a GSD, Lab and a Golden, all of which are susceptible to bloat (aren't they?)

So how do you get away with feeding one raw meal and not getting any bloat?

(I'm still going to split it as it means more food and less cost over the month)
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:37 PM
I feed both of my GSDs one meal per day.

The only "rule" I have with regards to feeding is that exercise is not done an hour either side of feeding, and after food, they're not alowed to goof around... They are "made" to chillout for a bit (but in fairness, they choose to do this anyway most of the time).

ETA - they are fed in the evening (generally about 10pm), so they are also naturally in a resting mood
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I feed both of my GSDs one meal per day.

The only "rule" I have with regards to feeding is that exercise is not done an hour either side of feeding, and after food, they're not alowed to goof around... They are "made" to chillout for a bit (but in fairness, they choose to do this anyway most of the time).

ETA - they are fed in the evening (generally about 10pm), so they are also naturally in a resting mood
10 pm Mine are fed at 5pm - Sadie always has been and I just led on Louie from there.

Then I started introducing breakfast back in.

I did read something though - naturally raw is better as it is biologically correct - so wouldn't that decrease the amount of bloating?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I do not feed one raw meal a day I always feed two meals (or they get fed during training).

I do not feed biscuits? either.

I like to feed twice a day because:

It reduces the risk of bloat/GDV
It results in stable blood sugar levels throughout the 24 hours
It minimises over production of bile etc from an empty stomach
It breaks up the day
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
10 pm Mine are fed at 5pm - Sadie always has been and I just led on Louie from there.

Then I started introducing breakfast back in.

I did read something though - naturally raw is better as it is biologically correct - so wouldn't that decrease the amount of bloating?
Not got a clue chuck

The only reason they're fed so late is that they eat after us, and until a couple of months ago, we used to eat about about 9 ish, but now we eat earlier so I only cook once (for us and little man), so they do get fed a little earlier, but still late in comparison to 5
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Mine are raw fed once a day, usually between 2-4 pm.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:17 PM
I like to feed big pieces that give the dogs a work out to eat; so usually once a day.

But if I'm heading out somewhere they'll get mince/meat chunks frozen inside a kong when we are out, so sometimes twice a day.

I don't feed at a regular time, it can vary from day to day. When on kibble and fed at regular times, my bitch used to get those early morning bile vomits when her stomach was anticipating food. Since mixing it up and not sticking to a routine, she's been fine.

No advice regarding how often to feed raw in relation to bloat though.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:31 PM
I feed twice a day, pretty much for the same reasons as SB. If I give Jake a big meal, then I will just let him eat enough for one meal, and then keep it for later when he can get the rest. Although, he is usually pretty good at stopping at a reasonable time before I really need to stop him.
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:48 PM
I feed Jin twice a day and intend to keep it that way.

In the morning she will have either mince (which is whole minced chicken.... bone and all) and veg, chicken wing or a large beef neck bone (which still has meat on). Or occasionally an egg with the shell powdered, but I will usually feed that then give her a bone as well. LOL.

In the evening she will have meat, fish or offal. Mostly mixed with veg.

I feed twice because I think they need a little in the morning and their main meal in the early evening..... I've always fed this way, as has my grandma. Regardless of what we feed (biscuit, kibble etc). If we only fed one meal than the dog would be ravinous and probably scoff the meal too quickly.... !

I admit Jin gets some food between meals...... mostly tiny bits of kibble as treats (left over Burns, when we finish the Burns, I will buy fish4dogs... its healthier than actual treats!), or a frozen kong/carrot, especially if I am doing chores and need her out of my way!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Not got a clue chuck

The only reason they're fed so late is that they eat after us, and until a couple of months ago, we used to eat about about 9 ish, but now we eat earlier so I only cook once (for us and little man), so they do get fed a little earlier, but still late in comparison to 5
You know, if you believe in that wolf heirachy theory.... you dont have to actually eat a whole meal before feeding the dogs, you could just eat a biscuit or something but make it look as though you are eating their food before you give it to them.

Them going to bed with a full tummy can't be great? They are digesting the food and have no need for the energy its releasing at they are sleeping!

I feed mine her dinner between 3-5pm depending on the days activities (if we are going to flyball, she gets it at 3 so her meal has gone down before the exercise). She then has energy to burn and we have a good play before bedtime......
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >