Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Highland Ponies... I quite like them :)

On the estate where I live there's a tekking centre, all highland ponies! I've been helping out there (and hopefully getting a part time job!!!) for the last couple of weeks and I'm really enjoying it!

I've never known/handled/ridden a highland before and they are a fantastic breed! Easy to handle, nice to ride now I'm used to a smaller horse after the hunters and just nice to be around!

The owner of the centre is also a hobby breeder, with all the youngstock being used in the trekking centre when they are old enough! Its all done naturally, the mares run with the stallion, so its all down to chance if the mares are covered or not! There are 4 licenced stallions with 2 running with mares! All the horses are home bred apart from Emma the shire and Sparky and Rosie the welsh ponies!

On Sunday the first of 7 foals was born, a wee black colt, who will probably go grey! I've never been around mares and foals and its really interesting to leran about it! Today we put the foal and his mum, Marina, out in the field, and I was the first person to ever put a headcollar on the little man!

I will post some pictures of all the highlands and the foal when I've got the internat again!