Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:36 PM

Swans nesting

I go for a walk with Monty along our local canal most evenings and every year the swans pick a nesting spot.

This year they've picked a spot quite close to the basin and in the residential sectiom and I've not been up there for a few days as the female is now sitting and the male has been very protective. Last year he wouldn't let people past him on the towpath!

I walked along there this evening and could see her sitting but he was nowhere to be seen so we went on with our walk and hoped he wasn't blocking the path on the way back down.

About an hour later we came back past and he still wasn't there which I thought was odd as the male is normally so protective over the female. I walked on a bit further and could hear a tapping noise. When I looked around I finally spotted the male in someone's back garden and he was stood in front of their patio doors tapping on their window!!

I couldn't work out if he was trying to get their attention maybe if they'd been feeding him or something or whether he was tapping at his own reflection!

I stood and watched him for about 5 minutes and he didn't give up! I expect the occupants of that house get pretty fed up with the constant tapping!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I would imagine he might have been getting cross with the 'other' male in his territory!

I had a chaffinch that used to do the same thing outside my window - he would display for a couple of mins, then have a 'go' at the window.

Usually first thing in the morning....I was NOT impressed!!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 10:40 PM
I didn't think of it as him seeing his reflection as a threat or another swan but that makes sense. Hope he realises before he sends himself or the home owners crazy!!

Also hope he realise so he can get back to protecting his mate. I love seeing the baby cygnets on the canal - last year they had 7!

Saw the first lot of ducklings tonight as well, they were so cute!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2011, 05:38 AM
Both our pairs are nesting too xxxxx lovely, lovely birds. Bless this male. And all the best for this pair and their little uns to be xxxx I feed our two lots on our walks, they def recognise us and the fur kids!!!!! Xxxx
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2011, 06:28 PM
We've got two pairs nesting along our river walk too... Can't wait to see the little 'uns! Also saw our first lot of ducklings today. The poor mother duck had 12 to keep an eye on!

xoxox