Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anna 2
New Member!
Female 

10-02-2009, 04:32 PM

would like to speak to other groomers

hi i'm anna i'm a dog groomer and would like to share tips and experiences with other dog groomers. I love my job but suffer with worry about doing anything that could possibly hurt the dog like de matting anals etc!
Hannaho
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Anna,
Iam starting my dog grooming course next week - I am really excited! So if you have any tips for me too ill be gratefull!
I was thinking about setting up a business in my garage but im not sure - theres soo much to think about isn't there!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi I finish my grooming course this week, I'll be happy to share any advice or tips! Going mobile in the near future!
anna 2
New Member!
Female 

12-02-2009, 04:14 PM
I started off mobile i did enjoy it but when things went wrong they went wrong! when i got wet from bathing i stayed wet all day it was tricking dealing with electric and water in such a small area, in winter i had to make sure not a drop of water was left in the system as this would freeze, but i got to know my customers really well, got more tips and made more money due to less over heads. I could advise you to do things differently to me in some ways!
anna 2
New Member!
Female 

12-02-2009, 04:16 PM
it sounds good working from your garage at least you can be at home on not so busy times and keeping over heads down.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Wouldn't be mobile as in in a van. I mean in people's homes at first so no bathing, just water spray, hairdryer and cutting.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I work out of my garage the plus sid is the cost the overheads are quite low.
On the negative side I think if I had a shop i'd pick up more trade as theres nothing quiet like a shop window for advertising.
I'm not sure mobile without bathing will work the majority of my clients turn up smelly and its really hard to clipper or scissor a dirty dog
Windhound
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi,I have been grooming now for 25yrs. I started out working from home,using my spare bedroom. I have always offered a collection and delivery service. Then I rented a space from my vet, and found that people were happy to bring their dogs and cats to me there. I was there for 10yrs. When the practice changed hands,I rented a work space at Battersea Dogs Home,I was there for 12yrs. Now I am back home again,and trying to retire! That does not seem to be the wish of my clients;I suppose the pleasure of seeing the finished dog,keeps one going,what one calls "Job Satisfaction"
nicrotties
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Hi i am adog groomer and i run my business from a purpose built log cabin in my garden, i love it and all my customers do too!
Nic x
Emilie Gacem
New Member!
Female 

19-04-2009, 08:29 PM
hi!!
I am french girl and i have open a grooming salon in october 2007. It's fabulous. This is difficult to have customers at beginning. I learn more and more every day.In the beginning i started off mobile and i have built my own salon. i love that!!don't be afraid and go for it!