Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 04:59 PM

Freedom project - going well so far...

I feel like we've had A with us for a long time now. I'm guessing it feels like a million times longer for her owner. I was thinking the other day that having A has helped me become less nervous around dogs.

I was bitten badly when I was 12 years old by a friend's bullmastiff and was very scared of dogs for a long time. Then my Aunty got a Bedlington terrier (owned by my step-dad now) and I began to love dogs all over again.

When A first came to us I must admit that I was pretty nervous of her. She's a big staffy (18kgs) and is very bouncy. Because I was used to my little terrier cross (who is 9kg soaking wet!) I was pretty frightened by this heavy set dog with big jaws.

But after just 24 hours she completely won me over. Not a day goes by where I don't wrestle with her on the floor and let her jump all over me (although her preferred westling position is on her back waving her paws in the air).

Getting used to a staffy has made me much less nervous around big dogs that I don't know. Even though I was brought up with two GSDs, because I had been bitten when I was younger I am still a bit nervous around large dogs.

When I got Bryan from Dog's Trust I explained to the people there that it was a mutually beneficial arrangement. Bryan gets a loving, forever home and I get a four-legged therapist!

I've found the same thing with A. She has given me just as much as I have given her. She's the most affectionate dog I've ever met, she's a comedian, she's a snuggler, she's a tail wagger, she's bouncy, she sings, she chases Bryan. And best of all, she never judged me.

I think the most important lesson I'll take away from this experience is never to judge a book by it's cover...or a dog by it's breed.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 05:05 PM
What a moving blog, but in a very lovely way
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 05:07 PM
what a great blog, glad having A around has warmed your heart to bigger dogs again, you never know one day you may get some rottie loving form my lot xx
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 05:20 PM
You've got me in tears, I am such a woose.

It is lovely that you have both given each other so much. Be very proud of yourself, it would have been so much easier not to try xx
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2008, 07:10 PM
I think I'll definately have to meet the rotties Shona. And Bryan wants to meet them too because he wants to get up close to one and see what they're all about