Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 05:30 PM

What is the difference.....

Between CH and Sh CM please?

It has me puzzled when I am reading show results, I understand CH is Champion but what does the Sh CM stand for?:smt017

I am purely being nosey, but would like to know!!!
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2006, 05:55 PM
SH CH is for gundogs because they can become field trial ch's aswell as show ch's.

Sorry read your post as SH CH not SH CM, the others have allready explained!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Ch (short for Champion) is added to a dogs name if they have been awarded three challenge certificates by three different judges, at least one of which should be awarded after the dog has turned 12 months old.

Sh Ch (short for Show Champion) is given to the gundog breeds and also to Border Collies. These breeds must also prove their natural ability to do the job they were originally bred for, in the case of the gundog breeds, they have to win a Show Gundog Working Certificate, and then they become a Champion and can drop the Sh bit.

Sh CM, (Show Certificate of Merit) is a recently invented award for dogs at Open Show level only. 25 points must be collected by winning a combination of Best of Breed awards and Group placings.

Have you noticed JW as well? That's Junior Warrant. Again 25 points must be amassed, but this time in breed class wins at both Open and Championship Show level. 1 point for a first at Open Shows and 3 points for a first at a Champ Show, as long as there are three dogs present in the class.

Full explainations are on the KC website.

Dawn R.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Hi Anne-Marie sh CM stands for show certificate of MERIT and is gained at Open Shows only if I'm correct, (and if not I'm sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon to correct me)

Kath XX
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey
Ch (short for Champion) is added to a dogs name if they have been awarded three challenge certificates by three different judges, at least one of which should be awarded after the dog has turned 12 months old.

Sh Ch (short for Show Champion) is given to the gundog breeds and also to Border Collies. These breeds must also prove their natural ability to do the job they were originally bred for, in the case of the gundog breeds, they have to win a Show Gundog Working Certificate, and then they become a Champion and can drop the Sh bit.

Sh CM, (Show Certificate of Merit) is a recently invented award for dogs at Open Show level only. 25 points must be collected by winning a combination of Best of Breed awards and Group placings.

Have you noticed JW as well? That's Junior Warrant. Again 25 points must be amassed, but this time in breed class wins at both Open and Championship Show level. 1 point for a first at Open Shows and 3 points for a first at a Champ Show, as long as there are three dogs present in the class.

Full explainations are on the KC website.

Dawn R.
Sorry - we must have posted at exactly the same time
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Great definitions, Nursey, I hope the curious will print it off and pin it to the wall!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Thanks for explaining!

I knew what Ch and JW stood for but not the others!! Cheers for that, you learn something new every day! !
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2006, 07:27 PM
Over here we have JDs, CACIBs and Annual Champions!
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 07:01 AM
The Irish rules for making up a champion are notoriously complicated, come on Deccy, help me understand.

Dawn R.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 07:08 AM
Oooh yes please Deccy, I would love to understand this as I do hope one day to give the showing world a go!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >