Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks for all the lovely comments on my Amy

I don't know why this breed has gone so out of fashion the last 20-30 years or so... Its sad isn't it... I imagine the grooming required would perhaps be a factor, they aren't the easiest dogs to deal with! But so beautiful to look at in full coat
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2013, 02:19 PM
I've never seen an afghan puppy, she is stunning and soooo fluffy x
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2013, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Thanks for all the lovely comments on my Amy

I don't know why this breed has gone so out of fashion the last 20-30 years or so... Its sad isn't it... I imagine the grooming required would perhaps be a factor, they aren't the easiest dogs to deal with! But so beautiful to look at in full coat
Hi Afghan breeders were very protective of the breed and their gene pool,would only use british based breed they were terrified of getting any of the USA as the USA have a differant slant on how the Afghan should look,I think the saddle came from the USA,but now with Europe the pool will have new strains,whether this is good for the breed,they are one of the few breeds who do not have any known health issues so we will have to wait and see Gemini54
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2013, 10:36 AM
There is loads of info on them out there on the web that I found when looking up why they dropped from popularity after the 70s.

They were particularly popular in Australia apparently and lots of the info on them is from Aus websites.

Some interesting stuff here

Not only are Afghan Hounds gorgeous and regal, they also are also extremely interesting animals as well. Here are some fun and unusual facts about the Afghan hound that you might not know.
In their native home of Afghanistan these dogs were used to hunt food including hare, gazelles, wolves and even snow leopards. They are very agile, fast and powerful making them perfect for chasing prey. This is why domesticated Afghan Hounds have such a strong instinct to chase animals today.

The long beautiful coat of the Afghan hound is standard of animals normally living at very high altitudes. The coat protects the dogs from the extreme winter weather that is typical in the mountains of Afghanistan.

British soldiers introduced these dogs to England sometime around 1890 after the second Afghan war.
The Afghan people originally refused to sell the dogs to outsiders so the first Afghan hound wasn't brought to the United States until 1926.

The Afghan hound wasn't extremely popular when first introduced in the United States and didn't become a recognized breed until the 1930's.
On August 3, 2005 a Korean scientist named Hwang Woo-Suk claimed that his team of researchers had cloned the first dog, an Afghan hound named Snuppy.
Afghan hounds are often considered the "super models" of the dog world because of their elegant appearance and aloof attitude.

When Afghan hounds find themselves in an overly stressful situation they often refuse to move and sometimes they even go to sleep until the incident or source of stress has passed. They also occasionally develop a "drippy" nose when they become upset.

White markings, especially on the face, are considered a fault in show dogs and are believed to indicate impure breeding.
An afghan hound can give birth to up to 15 puppies in a one litter. The average, however, is only eight.

The true start of this breed in the United States began in 1931 when Zeppo Marx of the Marx Brothers and his wife brought two dogs, Asra of Ghanzi and Westmill Omar, back to the States for breeding.
Afghans can gallop at speeds of up to 40 miles (64 kilometers) per hour and can leap seven feet (2 meters) from a standing position.

Afghan hounds are also known as Baluchi Hound, Balkh Hound, Barutzy Hound and Kabul Hound.
These dogs are members of the greyhound family.
The Afghan hound has very large feet that, despite their graceful appearance, make them perfectly suited for climbing over the rocky terrain that is found in their native homeland.

The oldest known illustration of an Afghan hound was copied in a set of letters written in India and printed in England in 1813. Some people believe that the Afghan hound lived in Egypt thousands of years ago due to drawings of a dog that resembled the Afghan but no physical evidence of the dogs has been discovered inside the tombs.
Info from terrificpets.com
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-09-2013, 12:50 PM
I wonder if Theo Paphitis from Dragon's Den has still got his Afghan. A few years ago there was a show (The Underdog? - something like that) hosted by Julian Clary, where celebrities trained rescue dogs in the hope of finding them new homes. A few of the celebrities couldn't part with the dogs they trained and adopted them, including Theo who adopted Claudia the Afghan. They showed her at his house - which needless to say was huge with enormous grounds - fab home for an Afghan!
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Absolutely stunning! Never seen one in the flesh but that is one good looking dog
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Originally Posted by jantet View Post
I wonder if Theo Paphitis from Dragon's Den has still got his Afghan. A few years ago there was a show (The Underdog? - something like that) hosted by Julian Clary, where celebrities trained rescue dogs in the hope of finding them new homes. A few of the celebrities couldn't part with the dogs they trained and adopted them, including Theo who adopted Claudia the Afghan. They showed her at his house - which needless to say was huge with enormous grounds - fab home for an Afghan!
Hi I did contact him,as at the time was involved with Rescue,his secretary came back a little while later and they said the dog had been moved on,the breeder of my late afghan tried to find out where,as every Afghan in the UK is precious to the gene pool,as then there were very few litters,but never did find out, just hope she went to a family home and had a happy life.Gemini54
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-09-2013, 11:24 AM
That's not good news. She was a lovely dog, and as you say I hope it turned out well for her.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3