Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Angel1210
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Stuffing Kongs

I always hear about how people keep their dog(s) busy for many minutes with a Kong toy. I know you have to stuff it. But, are they supposed to get all the stuffing out?? I tried it with my Chihuahua puppy (because my golden retriever has a "very" short attention span) and I had a hard time getting out what was left after about 15 minutes of play.

I tried putting just kibble in it dry. He likes that, but it's gone in about 3 minutes!

I would welcome any suggestions!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:02 PM
Try building up the difficulty slowly. My two can get a Kong crammed with their raw mince and frozen empty in probably about an hour and they get every last bit - if you increase the challenge of it slowly then they learn to get smarter about it, e.g. mine will pick the Kongs up and chuck them to dislodge the bits at the bottom.
I'd also check you have the right size, not too big (jaw can get stuck in the hole) but not too small that it's too difficulty either.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:22 PM
I use a combination of shaped biscuits and peanut butter....

I put a blob of peanut butter in the bottom, and shove the biscuit shapes into the Kong, ensuring that they are wedged tightly....

The boys will lick what they can - biscuits get soggy and fall out; throw and bounce them to move their contents and lick again...

That can last all day... often, I'm presented with a Kong which has a teeny bit of biscuit and peanut butter in the end... and the boys expect me to help them!!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:27 PM
That link isn't working for me SB?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:37 PM
No I accidentally linked to another forum, try Company of Animals site.

Mine can empty a kong in less than a couple of minutes, so freezing is the only way I find to increase the time.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 01:44 PM
The best kong I've bought is the soft, rubber bone shaped one, where you fill the ends. I stuff cheese in mine, really stuff it in there coz there are slats all the way down the holes with this bone, and sometimes she gets soft cheese with a few training treats mixed in (it's too narrow for her large kibble!) and this used to give me about 15 minutes of peace, but now it only gives me 5 A bit of raw carrot sometimes takes longer Sometimes some chicken.

I fill the normal kongs with the round holes with yoghurt and freeze those, they can last all of 5 minutes too!

If you're having trouble getting out what's left, then give it a few "bangs" on the sink and it usually flies out, then I put mine in the dishwater to get the last bits out, it's in there once a day anyway.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I found this: http://dogs.thefuntimesguide.com/2006/02/dog_recipes_for_kong_chew_toys.php

''ICEBERG KONG'' looks like it would last quite a long time!! I fancy giving that ago with our dogs but outside as would make a mess in the house.
Angel1210
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks everyone. Really good suggestions. I will have to try them.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 11:34 AM
i want to get some kongs for mine but dont know what size to get them. the smallest ones are ok for a few bits, but i wondered if i should get the medium one so i could fit a whole meal in one?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >