View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 07:40 AM

What actually are Nylabones? Anyone use them?

I bought Fudge a Nylabone yesterday as a boredom buster toy. It seems very odd as it seems to be almost plastic but says it is edible and indeed is a yummy bacon flavour apparently..

Do other people use them? What do you think of them and what on earth are they actually made of?
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 07:59 AM
I think I have them, not 100% sure as they are called something different over here but they sound the same. We have chocolate or vanila flavour. Most of my dogs love to chew on them and they last for ages, and I mean ages one of them is about 5 years old. They have never managed to break any big bits off so I am happy that they are safe. Not sure what they are made of but it looks like a really tough nylon/plastic to me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:41 AM
Hate them, watch the ends don't come off or big bits come lose.

Ours have big marrow bones. Usually for an hour or so at a time and they get chucked when I think they are getting too many end bits off. The middling bits are around all the time so I can shove bits down them if I want to.

Polly and Celt have just had half a banana each in a cheap kong (pluto's pets). Those two love banana and sometimes they are cheap in our local shop.

rune

rune
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Mine have several which they take turns at chewing. They really like them and I've never had any problems. A favourite is one with a strip of beef jerky down the middle. They're a good way of keeping teeth clean.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:51 AM
I used them when Keisha was a pup, they were good as a puppy chew toy, she never managed to chew anything off one in about a year with her little nippers!

But now she's an adult I buy the huge rawhide bones, not the chokeable knotted end ones though I worry she's eat the nylabones too quick and they can't be good for them can they, like you say, they're just like plastic aren't they! No point having them on a raw diet then letting her munch one of those
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 08:54 AM
Tilly has the bacon flavoured one, but she's not overly impressed with it!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Shady loves to chew and so they are the safest thing for her. I get her the huge £12.99 ones, but when she was on cage rest her powerful jaws could get through one in a few hours, normally they last her a few weeks though before I have to replace them.
I have tried marrowbones with Shady twice through her life and each time she ended up in the vets with shards of bone causing a blockage.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Pip loves them and it saves other things from being chewed!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Have a look here, it is the US and the product may have changed but I'd rather not risk it.

Shady's experience is why I take bones away when they look like being a problem.

I suppose nothing is totally safe but I tend to be a bit phobic about things I or friends have experienced.

rune
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Have a look here, it is the US and the product may have changed but I'd rather not risk it.

Shady's experience is why I take bones away when they look like being a problem.

I suppose nothing is totally safe but I tend to be a bit phobic about things I or friends have experienced.

rune
Have a look where? Am I being totally thick as usual as I can't see a link or anything
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >