Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-09-2008, 04:22 PM
[

Someone who states that Belgian ring is dull is in fact not aware of what he is talking. You may like or dislike it; that's another matter. But stating that a competition is dull where the only limiting factor as how the trail is going to be is the imagination of the judges is showing a total ignorance of the subject.
And for a Ring dog not standing up to a confrontation...
Real life situations have shown over and over again that most of them do. I prefer going down a dangerous street with a ring dog at my side than with any "operational" police dog in the UK.

reason

I know what a Ring dog can do and when he's going to do it

So i stick to the dogs and the training i know best[/QUOTE]

Stating something is dull is my opinion!!
So why should it upset you so much, its not ignorance that I do not find your hobby exciting.
I meet people like you time and time again, its their way or no way, That shows little of dog training as surley an open mind is always the best way to train dogs.
Time and time again your sport dogs have performed????.

Lets face it you mean several times and probably one or two of those times the dog had some part to play.
Oh and that arogant streak verry becoming suggesting that a UK police dog wouldnt react in the correct way.

Its very admiral that you defend your hobby with such passion, how ever stop belittling others because they dont agree.

So If its ok with you you bash on with what you do and I will continue with my little UK police dog, going down dangerous streets on a daily basis, confronting armed, dangerous and some times life threatening situations with my dog who I think should perform.
And I will leave you with another opinion, I would much rather have a as you say a UK police dog by my side than a ring dog
That is not ignorance its fact.
Mabye its the way they have been trained but the few I have seen making the jump from sport to real world havent been very impressive
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Have you ever seen a Belgian ring dog in action?
Have you ever felt a ringdog on you?
Have you ever looked at the selection proces and compared it with that of the UK policeforce?
Have you ever conciddered why a "to soft" ringdog can become a "hard to handle" policedog in the UK police?

Why don't you come over to Belgium the next 3 sundays are the belgian championships
You might change your vision
You may even bring your dog along i'll be happy to test him and give my honest opinion on the dog his strenghts and his weaknesses.

Greetings

Johan

PS i have said it before and will say it again

NVBK is open you cna get a wildcard to compete. If your dogs ar so good well show it and teach us your ways.
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
I wouldn't train Marius in Schutzhund or Protection training. Just not interested in that side of things TBH.

I do greatly admire them though and love to watch clips on the net of a well-trained dog. Some really are amazing

If you click the quote button on the bottom of someones post it will bring up the quote of that one person. Multi-quote allows you to do quotes from more than one persons posts if that helps?
Hi,

Just noticed this post ..... many thanks indeed!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Please keep the thread amicable and remember everyone is allowed an opinion.
Thank you.

(Off topic posts removed)
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-09-2008, 10:40 PM
I started this thread for everyone to give info or have there point of view on protection/shutzhand?
Please keep it on topic...there has been so much good info and comments..dont get it locked and spoil it peepz!
Heldengebroed
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Can a sportdog protect you?

The phonecall i got yesterday may shed some light on this

I got a call from Israel, like a numbre of belgian trainers (don't know where they got my private numbre), asking if i have a 1 to 2 year old Mal for sale that
a: is physical sound
b: isn't good enough for the sport
c: is crazy for his toy
d: has the will to confront a civil
During the conversation it became clear that there is a large search for NVBK dogs that are not up to our standards (bite 20 instead of 23/24) These dogs are going to be used against terrorists and personal protection

Greetings

Johan
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Hades!

Ive tried some basic schutzhund work with my boy and found that he lacks the requisite drive (his dad recently gained his Sch III) Our trainer after spending sometime trying to find his drive said he would video him and send it to his Sch club trainer and ask how on earth we go about finding it! as he had run out of ideas!

I have taken the decision to not continue with sch. as whats the point if the dog doesnt enjoy it? Our trainer said that my boy has ultimate trust in me to look after and therefore doesnt feel the need to react as I will protect him. That said he has no doubt that if a real life dangerous situation arose (ie if we were attacked for real) he would protect me without question.

I think we will turn our paws toward working trials instead as he loves the tracking part of Sch. and LOVES agility class.

I have worked my trainers GSD and it was amazing! I have also been the decoy which was an experience to be had most definitely if you get the opportunity!

its been said before that SCH the dog is trained to bite the sleeve and be able to be controlled when doing so and watching the 'switch' go on and off with these dogs is brilliant! I dont know anything about how PD's are trained so cant comment but I think that as long as the dog is handled by someone who has been trained to handle it and the handler is aware of what he has at the end of that bit of leather then alls well. But we musnt forget that at the end of the day a dog is an animal and not a machine and should be treated as such.
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Following a previous thread...''do you feel safe with you dogs'' got me thinking has anyone considered any kind of protection work or shutzhund with there dogs?
Has anyone thought about getting there dogs into this type of trainning or does anyone have there dogs trainnined in this type of "work"?
All comments, views and thoughts welcome... thought it would make an intresting topic.
In between injuries we train in Schutzhund.

She is not a trained personal protection dog!

Does a well conditioned Rottweiler who will bark on command make me feel safer....maybe. To be honest, I expect to be able to defend my dog, not the other way round.

Many dogs are not suitable for Schutzhund training, let alone personal protection.
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Dogs have to pass the BH before they are allowed to start protection training.
This is not true. A dog must pass BH before it can continue on to Sch qualifications, but I do not know of any trainer who waits until a dog has a BH before starting protection training - it is wasted time.
IJF
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by hades View Post
What requirements do they need for this sort of work...eg breed...age?
Also do you feel that this sort of work could...change there personality, or reliability with people/other dogs???
Just questions?
Dogs can start in Schutzhund training (imprinting) from 10 weeks! At an early age you can work on short tracks/scent pads, motivational obedience and drive/tug work.

Breed wise, the best dogs are working bred Malinois and GSD. Other breeds that compete include Rottweilers, Airedale Terriers, Dobermanns, Giant Schnauzers and Boxers.

The training should not change their reaction to other people or other dogs. The foundation of Schutzhund is a stable dog that responds to handler commands at all times.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >