Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 04:43 PM

how could I work Willow (cocker)?

I wonder if any of you who are involved with working dogs can help.

Willow is 6month cocker blue roan, and I am wondering how I can involve her more in what her breed is about.

We do training classes every week, she is coming on very well and is fairly obedient, very observant, although a lovely little rascal at times.

Until now I have always been against hunting and shooting. However I'm starting to take a more balanced view and, while I can't condone (personally) blood sports, I wonder if there are any opportunities for dogs like Willow to have a go at working. I guess morally I would be content if all the animals collected were used usefully, for food.

I haven't made my mind up yet, its just that she is a smashing dog, works well to recall at only 6months (with distractions) and it seems a shame not to use her abilities.

If I seem a bit contradictory, I'm not. I am trying to be open minded and wonder if my years of anti-this, that and the other are really the way I want to be.

Any advice on Willow and activities gratefully received.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I am sure Helen will be along to give you some advice soon. She works her springers, pointers, GWPs and setters, so will definitely have some ideas

Is Willow working-bred?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 06:26 PM
If you really don't like the idea of shooting, you could train her for working tests. These take place during the summer and are always on dummies.

There is also the gundog club (do a google search but I think their address is just www.thegundogclub.co.uk). They are fairly new but sound a good idea and are aimed at novice gundog handlers. There are a series of tests, which you move up. Sort of the idea of the kennel club good citizen schemes. I think the highest level does take place on a shoot, or will as I don't think they have designed them yet. You never know, you may be hooked by then and want to try her out on the real thing.

As Kirsty has asked, is she show or working strain?

Hope this helps

Helen
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Looks like show type from the pic.
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. From what I know, she is show trained, though the breeder has not shown for some time. The prefix is anahi (anahi.co.uk)

Thanks Helen, I'll look into the gundog website and at the courses.

As she is likely not to be working bred, does this mean she would not take to working? Or just not as naturally as a working bred?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 09:26 PM
Some show cocker lines have lost their working ability completely while others have retain some instinct. This is because they have not been bred for their working ability but for their conformation so certain aspects of their character will not have been considered when selecting breeding stock. This has happened in many breeds.
Becky
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 10:01 PM
As Becky has said, some have, some haven't. One of the shoots I go to, there are a couple of show cockers picking up and they do a decent enough job.

I would very much recommend the gundog club. I have heard that a show line irish setter has passed the first test.

Helen
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2006, 10:40 PM
My girls are all show type cockers, but some of my pups have gone on to do agility and a couple are actually used as working cockers and they love it. Only draw back is that they have to keep their coats a lot shorter than normal.

Cockers are eager to please and they love exercise......both show and working. I'm sure Willow will enjoy whatever you put her in for.
Munsti-Sue
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-12-2006, 10:43 PM
You could also try going along to one of the gamefairs which start to appear from april. There are many helpful folk there to answer queries and point you in the right direction.

The first 'big' one of 2007 is the Beta Gundog Weekend held at Claydon House in Buckinghamshire on May 5th and 6th. Apart from meeting all the experts in the field, they also run have ago events - scurries, pickups etc
Beta Gundog

The next 'big' one is the CLA which is being held at Harewood House near Leeds from 27-29th July. Similar to above but covers all aspects of country life.
CLA Fair
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-01-2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks again all. I have followed the links and have found a gundog trainer and competition judge who lives about 15 miles from me. We spoke on Saturday and I am arranging to take Willow to meet him next weekend.

Does the training involve residential stay? One site I visited mentioned this. I'm not too keen on leaving her with someone you see. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >