Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2010, 06:49 PM

Mucus in poo

Hi all, came home yesterday to find Joe had a bad tum, ugh, poor boy had very loose poo and it was all over his bed, toys etc in his crate We let him out straight away whilst cleaning up (throwing out more like) and he had diarrhea. Only gave him a small amount of food later on in the night and he was fine, drinking, playing etc as normal. No accidents during the night. But this morning his poo was dark green and had a lot of mucus with it. What could this be? He hasn't been for a poo tonight (it's raining LOL!)

Thankyou
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:04 PM
We have had a bout of this this week with Fudge.The mucus or jelly is often associated with a stomach irritation called colitis. I found this page very useful.

http://www.vetbase.co.uk/information...-explained.php

Fudge's bout was pretty bad and she became listless so we took her to the vet who suspected a stomach bug and gave her antibiotics. 24 hours later she is almost back to normal....

I hope this is helpful.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear your dog's not well, but I suspect the dark green is probably grass that he ate coz he felt sick, they usually eat grass, and I've often seen that dark green. I remember Googling it once (sad I know!) and it said it's always grass or spinach and I knew my dog hadn't eaten spinach! Let's hope it clears up quickly for your sake as well as his by the sound of it, poor little chap.
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks both of you Joe was right as rain as soon as he realized he wasn't going to get told off when we got in from work yesterday and has been fine in himself since thankfully. Regarding the grass, Joe LOVES grass and eats it poorly or not, the longer the better! Ha ha! So whereas some dogs eat grass to make themselves sick, Joe eats it as a snack