View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I really can't see what all the hype is about Windows 10. To be honest, there isn't an awful lot of difference that I've found so far from Windows 8.1. Don't be fooled by the face recognition thing because you can only get that if you buy a special camera. The Cantana thing works, but that would drive me nuts anyway so not something I'd use.

All the rest is just minor differences, but nothing that takes any time getting used to
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I really can't see what all the hype is about Windows 10. To be honest, there isn't an awful lot of difference that I've found so far from Windows 8.1. Don't be fooled by the face recognition thing because you can only get that if you buy a special camera. The Cantana thing works, but that would drive me nuts anyway so not something I'd use.

All the rest is just minor differences, but nothing that takes any time getting used to
As with the tiles on 8.1 , Cantana and the rest of the rubbish I don't want will go straight in the bin
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-08-2015, 07:03 AM
I'm using Vista. I wish they would bring back Windows 7 .
I want to buy a new PC with Windows 10 already down loaded. I hated Windows 8 so I delayed getting a new PC.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-09-2015, 07:50 AM
Oh dear, there are some Luddites on here. The first thing to do before downloading is to run the compatibility test. This is available through the little Windows 10 icon in your system tray. This test will check your computer for any issues prior to installation. The reasons for those people having problems are most likely driver problems for particular hardware combinations.
I bit the bullet on my old Win 7 Netbook first and didn't have any problems, so a couple of days later installed on my Win 7 desktop, again it installed fine. It is much faster than Win 7, and has many new features and the new Edge browser to replace Internet Explorer. I disabled Cortana as it is no use to me, but many people like the feature.
The thing to remember about Operating systems is that they are eventually rendered obsolete and no longer supported by Microsoft. This means that bugs don't get fixed and internet security can become a big risk.
It's your call, but do run the compatibility checker first to see if you are going to have problems.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2015, 08:29 AM
Well I think that's a bit rude to call us Luddites just because we don't have your computer knowledge.
There are many technical things I can do that I bet you can't but this is probably not the time or place to go into them.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-09-2015, 09:16 AM
If the cap fits ........?
Seriously it was a tongue in cheek remark, just for fun to get a reaction, and it did.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

10-09-2015, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Well I think that's a bit rude to call us Luddites just because we don't have your computer knowledge.
There are many technical things I can do that I bet you can't but this is probably not the time or place to go into them.
And to assume we didn't bother running the compatibility test is pretty rude too, guess we're all just thick.
It works on some makes and not on others even though they passed the compatibility test. The net is full of complaints and not on old machines either, mine was only 4 months old.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-09-2015, 11:41 AM
There are always teething issues with upgrades like this. Usually they get resolved fairly quickly. There are also workarounds for the Asus touchpad issue.

I didnt upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8/ 8.1 but am happy I went with Win 10, it is stable and quick, now has a start button and has lost those awful tiles.
Well worth upgrading.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

10-09-2015, 12:11 PM
I never had any issues with 8 quite liked it actually, as for working around the touchpad issue lol why have it if it's rendered useless and you can't even navigate around the screen. My son tried for ages to get it to work before admitting defeat and getting his mate to remove it. Why the hell should we work around the issue on a new machine. So much easier to get the thing removed and use a system that works. I have an old Tosh that keeps switching itself off, I'm willing to work around that because it's kept as a spare and it's old. I ain't working around anything on a new machine.
My son has 10 on his desktop machine and when asked what he thought of it the reply was it ain't all that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2015, 12:38 PM
There isn't a workaround for the issue of the incompatible driver issue on the one machine of ours that doesn't like Windows 10. There are a couple of suggested workarounds that we tried, but they didn't resolve the issue.

Microsoft have said that it's the manufacturers of the machines that need to resolve these issues and not they themselves.

On the two machines we do have it on, it is working fine. The only reason we've upgraded is because of the ongoing support issue and that it is free.

The system itself isn't too much different to 8.1 and for my use wouldn't be worth the hassle if not for that support issue
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >